samw94

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hey,
Pretty simple question- will the Sapphire HD 6870 be able to handle games such as Starcraft 2 and Shogun 2 on max settings when gaming at 1440x 900?

If not, what approx. quality will it be able to do?

How much room does this card leave for an upgrade to 1920x1080?

And how much 'longevity' will the card give me in gaming comfortably in the future? [I suppose that's a bit of an impossible question.]

Thanks in advance
SW

G

the HD 6870 is a very good card and will give you a good gaming experience at practically all games @ 1080 with most details set on max.
granted not either game you asked about but it is more intense:
metro%202033.JPG

At your current resolution the 6870 will max both the games you listed. At 1080p, you may have to turn some settings down to high in order to maintain acceptable framerates in Shogun II, that game can be graphically demanding.

As far as longevity goes, it will probably last you a while, definitely at least until the next console generation hits, most games are restricted by the aging console hardware and aren't that demanding. There are only a handful of titles out there that really push existing PC hardware. The 6870 won't max out Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, or Witcher 2 at 1080p, but you'll still be able to pull off high settings. It's a really good card still, especially if you don't have a huge budget to buy one of the new high end cards that have come out in the past few months.

samw94

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Very comprehensive answers from both you guys- cleared up my problems, and I'm going to be buying one shortly.

Thanks a lot