Closed Solved

Would My FPS Improve With A i5?

I have a AMD FX 8120 and a Radeon HD 6870, would my framerates improve if I got a i5 (like a 3570k)?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about would improve
  1. Best answer
    It would depend on the game, what settings you play, and other factors. Chances are that there's be a difference, but you'd probably be better off just overclocking that 8120 anyway. You'd have to spend a lot of money on an i5 and motherboard when you could simply keep what you have and overclock, maybe with a cheap CPU cooler if yours isn't good enough.
  2. melikepie said:
    I have a AMD FX 8120 and a Radeon HD 6870, would my framerates improve if I got a i5 (like a 3570k)?

You'd see a bigger improvement by using that money on a second 6870 or a GTX 670/ HD 7970.
  3. melikepie said:

Not Really... You won't see a big Improvement in the framerates.

Since, most of the games' performance is dependant on GPU, rather than CPU, it will be wise if you invest in a Good GPU (at least HD 7850).
  4. You would see an increase in fps yes, but most games today are fine with cpu, it is the gpu that is maxing out. If you get a second 6870 you will see a large increase in performance though that is assuming you have a PSU to hand crossfire and a mono w/2x pci 16x expansion slots and also that the game support crossfire. But you will see a larger fps gain for less is you get a second 6870.
  5. The would only see a difference in skyrim and Rts games. As others have already said more GPU muscle is better
  6. Crossfire for better performance. If your mobo does not support XFire, then a new more powerful graphic card.
  7. I say use the money for a better gpu. That will have more of a improvement than a cpu upgrade.
  8. burritobob said:
    You would see an increase in fps yes, but most games today are fine with cpu, it is the gpu that is maxing out. If you get a second 6870 you will see a large increase in performance though that is assuming you have a PSU to hand crossfire and a mono w/2x pci 16x expansion slots and also that the game support crossfire. But you will see a larger fps gain for less is you get a second 6870.

I got another one but I sold it because major shuttering on ultra for battlefield 3, because it seems it was a RAM issue.
  9. Best answer selected by melikepie.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs FPS Radeon AMD HD Intel i5