Which is Better? AMD or Intel?

dinoshan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Hi,
With so much of information overload, I'd like to get clear on one thing. If AMD IS faster than Intel, then in dual core AMD would be a clear winner. However, Intel's dual core are capable of HT in the future. Which gives it 4 logical processors in dual core. So does that mean Intel is better in the end, considering there will be more multi threaded applications coming next year?
Thanks for your opinions.

A comparison would be pure speculation at this point. Wait for the release of both and take a look at comparison reviews at that time.

pat

Expert
Right now, AMD had a better price/performance ratio, so it is the best for me..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The dual core PD will not have HT. Only the EE will have it. Benchmarking seems to show that HT and DC dont mix very well.
Intel's first stab at DC is not very well put together. A DC chip will run slower than a SC chip, at the same speed, for many apps. Intel's DC is for suckers.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Don't listen to these fanboys; the future is clearly VIA's. Dual cpu VIA Edens, thats what you want !

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
actually, I think its a rather nice platform. have a look here:
<A HREF="http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_dp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=321" target="_new">http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_dp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=321</A>
extremly, small, silent and cheap 2 way smp. Nice for making a custom home server server for instance.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I've not seen any benches, nor do I know how much it costs exactly, but I could think of more uses. I figure it should make be a nice silent under-the-desk server (fileserving, firewall, FTP, email, and maybe a even game server). It might even be a worthwhile silent destop or HTPC solution if you don't need state of the art performance, at least if its cheaper than a fanless 7W Pentium M desktop solution (which is likely). And even for rackservers as pseudo blades it makes some sense, no fans to replace, very low power, and I'm sure one or maybe two companies could make use of the integrated encryption engine.

Granted, all of the above don't make for a huge market, but I still kinda like it as a niche product. Might even buy one, just for the heck of it.