Linking independent CPUs

sohrabgandhi

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Hi,

I am having close to 30 system on my network that are of various hardware and make (P4 / DC / C2D / Core i3 / Core i5). I would like to combine all these systems as one powerful system that can share its processing capabilities.

For example, a person running a pentium 4 machine able render video much faster making use the of other idle systems.

I have googled a lot about "grid computing", "clustering" and "distributed computing", but have failed to find an appropriate solution to my query.

I dont know if my thought can be achieved, but, if it can, a well detailed exact solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :hello:

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
A linux build of some sort would be able to help you out. But your pentium 4 would not be able to render video faster because it is dependent on the video card of the machine. Besides, network speeds are much slower than even a very slow video card, so if you attempted some kind of cluster computing for video it would end up slowing it down even more.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
The first step is to find the platform (Operating System) to support what you wnat to do.
And, this kind of O/S isn't available. BTW, if you can modify Linux (or any Open-Source O/S) to do so, I think that may be possible.

I was in the search of somewhat same mechanism, which supports 3 different CPUs (P4, Core i3, C2D), before I realised it's not so simple as it seems.

So, if you happened to find out any means to implement this, tell me also.

sohrabgandhi

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

Yes, I am aware that video rendering is dependent on the GPU, but that was just a small example that had crossed my mind. I'm basically looking for something that will help me share the load of the CPU, be it while gaming or otherwise.

sohrabgandhi

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

Ahh, yes, the O/S is another core aspect of the game! Vinay, you were trying 3 different CPUs. What if say I have the same CPU on all machines? Have you come across any means of integrating them?

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Yes, I was trying to connect 3 Mobos together with 3 different CPUs. (Everything else remaining common)
But, rather than distributing the tasks to various CPUs, I wanted to use the net sum of their processing powers. So, the OS wasn't really important for that task.

So, after googling whole day, I was left disappointed. However, I came to know that similar Xeon CPUs can be integrated to work together. I don't know much, but just to let you know.

solar1992

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Plain video rendering is not dependent on GPU. GPU's help accelerate it, but big clusters that do CGI are just CPU farms. It's only recently that GPU have started entering the equation for rendering.

The easiest thing to do is find a software that lets you render on multiple machines. 3DS used to be fairly easy back in the day to setup slave machines to render. I used to do it using 386's back in the day.