Sign in with
Your question

Need urgent help with system not booting up

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 12:01:22 AM

Hello, I've received my computer parts today and I put my machine together.
It was working all fine, I installed windows and about 30 minutes ago it started acting strange.
I was copying over my files from an older hdd and then when I turned off the system to take out the old hard drive, it wouldn't boot up. The CPU fan would keep spinning in bursts and the power led kept flikkering.
I thought a simple unplug would to the trick, but no luck.
I tried troubleshooting, the stock heatsink is installed properly, got a few spacers here and there (with one poorly screwed in screw)...

Still no luck but when I boot it up now, it kinda starts booting up for 5 seconds and then shuts off, then it starts to boot up againa and repeats itself, there's also nothing showing up on the scren.

Help please?
;_;

System Specs:

Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.0GHz
ASRock H77M LGA1155
8GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz
Corsair CX430

More about : urgent system booting

July 7, 2012 12:04:01 AM

Are all the power leads properly in place (particularly the additional mobo power lead near the CPU)?
July 7, 2012 12:05:27 AM

inanition02 said:
Are all the power leads properly in place (particularly the additional mobo power lead near the CPU)?

They're all in place.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:11:09 AM

this is a nice ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

break the MB out of the case, remove everything but CPU. Connect to PSU. Are you still getting the "booting up for 5 seconds and then shuts off, " or is it posting and beeping no memory?

If dropping to jsut MB, CPU and PSU still has the 5 second cycle then replace PSU.

If the MB, CPU and PSU post fine then add in memory. Power up, does it still post? yes! good. Keep adding parts until system starts failing then look hard at the last part you added.
July 7, 2012 12:19:52 AM

tsnor said:
this is a nice ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

break the MB out of the case, remove everything but CPU. Connect to PSU. Are you still getting the "booting up for 5 seconds and then shuts off, " or is it posting and beeping no memory?

If dropping to jsut MB, CPU and PSU still has the 5 second cycle then replace PSU.

If the MB, CPU and PSU post fine then add in memory. Power up, does it still post? yes! good. Keep adding parts until system starts failing then look hard at the last part you added.

Okay, I don't have that boot cycle anymore, but there's no video. :L
July 7, 2012 12:34:13 AM

Oh there, fixed it. :D !!
Apparently the ram wasn't inserted all the way in.
Thanks for your time. c:
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:38:10 AM

swiftness said:
Oh there, fixed it. :D !!
Apparently the ram wasn't inserted all the way in.
Thanks for your time. c:

Nice. (p.s. you now know a lot more about PC building than someone who's build worked he first time)
!