Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can a 300 Watt PSU Handle a 7750?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 14, 2012 4:42:48 AM

I recently bought a new HP computer because it was on sale for $300 but I'm thinking about adding a GPU to the system.

Problem is that the system has a 300 Watt PSU. Will that be enough for a budget card like the 7750? It's just for gaming at 720p and video editing.

Here are some of my specs if you need it

Intel Core i3 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB Ram
1 TB HD

I think that's everything you guys' will need to answer my question.
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 5:29:58 AM

Quote:
Measured power consumption R7750

System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 188W
Difference (GPU load) = 33W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 43 Watts


If the PSU is of GOOD quality it will be fine, 300 is enough. However if it is of poor quality it won't be. I've known HP (a while ago) to put some sub-par PSUs in their system. If we knew the exact model of the PSU it would be beneficial.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 5:47:10 AM

It will be fine. As you can see above, a fully stressed system with a HD7750 barely draws 200W.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 5:53:29 AM

Yeah but doesn't the CPU, Ram and all the other parts also draw power? Sorry I'm new to this.
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b α HP
May 14, 2012 6:45:19 AM

Yes, but the i3-2100 does not consume too much power and you don't have many other components in your PC like multiple hard drives or optical drives.
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:48:13 AM

I'd start by making sure your cheap $300 computer has a PCIe slot. If you don't have a PCIe 16x slot then you can't run a video card.

7750 might be pushing it, but you'll be fine.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:49:18 AM

the processor is light on the amps. iirc when i use my i3-2120, on idle it only takes up about 4-5 amps.
m
0
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:51:51 AM

just make sure that you have an good quality psu or just post the image of your psu lable to us so we can give you answr in better way.:) 

btw it will work fine if the psu is of good quality.:) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:53:00 AM

mac981 said:
Yeah but doesn't the CPU, Ram and all the other parts also draw power? Sorry I'm new to this.

The graphics card alone only draws around ~55W max, and the rest of the components usually dont add upto over a 100W.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 7:14:07 AM

If only you can delete stupid posts by stupid people :

Intel Core i3 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB Ram
1 TB HD

Okay first of all the i3-2100 consumes 40wat idle to - 90/100 watt stressed

8 GB Ram = 10 Watts

1Tb Hdd = 30/40 WAtt , if sata powered

CD DVD Combo another 30/40 Watt

7750 = maximum capacirty for PCI power fed is 75 Watt so lots do some math people will ya:

100 + 10 + 40 + 40 + 75 = 265Watt maximum stressted out computer , add couple of fans and some usb devices thats an extra 20 Watt =


285 Watts , and this is if running prime and burning a cd/dvd at the same time and running a Game at full setting as well as copying files to an external usb drive


m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 1:03:01 PM

You complain about stupid people and say a hdd uses 40W?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 1:20:21 PM

emad_ramlawi said:
If only you can delete stupid posts by stupid people :

Intel Core i3 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB Ram
1 TB HD

Okay first of all the i3-2100 consumes 40wat idle to - 90/100 watt stressed

8 GB Ram = 10 Watts

1Tb Hdd = 30/40 WAtt , if sata powered

CD DVD Combo another 30/40 Watt

7750 = maximum capacirty for PCI power fed is 75 Watt so lots do some math people will ya:

100 + 10 + 40 + 40 + 75 = 265Watt maximum stressted out computer , add couple of fans and some usb devices thats an extra 20 Watt =


285 Watts , and this is if running prime and burning a cd/dvd at the same time and running a Game at full setting as well as copying files to an external usb drive

^ This is hilarious.

You'll be fine - that is a very low power system. The HD 7750 is a very efficient card, and draws all power from the PCIe slot. Even if the PSU is low-quality and can't supply the full 300w it claims, you've still got a ton of headroom. If your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot, then HP is obviously confident that the PSU can power it.
m
0
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 6:14:52 AM

wtf hdd uses 40w?hah isnt strange?hdd doesnt uses that much of power. :non: 

hard drives at power on to this wattage, then consume 8-15W depending on brand and model for the 7200RPM.:) 

A DVD burner will consume about 25-30W during burning.:) 
m
0
l
May 16, 2012 4:21:05 AM

4745454b said:
I'd start by making sure your cheap $300 computer has a PCIe slot. If you don't have a PCIe 16x slot then you can't run a video card.

7750 might be pushing it, but you'll be fine.



Yes it does, it's a 2.0 x16 slot
m
0
l
May 16, 2012 4:25:22 AM

emad_ramlawi said:
If only you can delete stupid posts by stupid people :

Intel Core i3 at 3.1 Ghz
8 GB Ram
1 TB HD

Okay first of all the i3-2100 consumes 40wat idle to - 90/100 watt stressed

8 GB Ram = 10 Watts

1Tb Hdd = 30/40 WAtt , if sata powered

CD DVD Combo another 30/40 Watt

7750 = maximum capacirty for PCI power fed is 75 Watt so lots do some math people will ya:

100 + 10 + 40 + 40 + 75 = 265Watt maximum stressted out computer , add couple of fans and some usb devices thats an extra 20 Watt =


285 Watts , and this is if running prime and burning a cd/dvd at the same time and running a Game at full setting as well as copying files to an external usb drive


Sorry I'm new to PC's and learning the "In's and Out's" so to speak. I know I'm the smartest when it comes to all this stuff, but I'm learning.
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 10:09:04 AM

It will be fine for the 7750.
m
0
l
!