Is it worth upgrading to a EVGA GTX 580 from a HD Radeon 6870 2 gig?

Helltech

Distinguished
For that price you can get a GTX 670 which is faster then a GTX 580... and yes that would be a worthy upgrade if you did that...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500242

perfrel.gif

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Wait... I can use any graphics card without worrying about the PCI version? If i put a 3.0 card in, wont it get throttled? i thought i wouldnt be able to get as much out of it. Im deciding to upgrade because the fan noise of my XFX 6870 2gb is really loud... it bugs me like crazy.....

Helltech

Distinguished
A single GTX 670 will not be bottnecked by a PCI-e 1.0 16x, PCI-e 2.0 8x, or PCI-e 3.0 4x slot. Anything less then those it will be (e.g. PCI-e 1.0 8x or 4x, or PCI-e 2.0 4x). If you start to SLI that is a different story, that is when those slots gets saturated fast.

No it won't be throttled since you are on a PCI-e 2.0 16x slot.

perfrel.gif

If you hate fan noise get the GTX 670 Asus Direct CU II Top card, according to reviews its one of the quietest high performance cards available, the only one I've seen for sale yet is on NCIX. I'm personally waiting for the 4GB version of this card myself.

fannoise_load.gif

The ASUS DC II cooler is a revelation on the GTX 670, it provides incredibly low noise levels. In both idle and load the card emits almost no noise, it is actually quieter under full load than most other cards on the market are at idle. Not only noise is low but temperatures are great, too. With only 74°C under load the card is quieter than most other GTX 670 cards tested today.

Helltech

Distinguished

Oh well I know nothing about doing any of that. :pt1cable:

680 is stupid overpriced.

Maybe wait for the 670 to get supported? Or as lycros said there are ways to make your system more silent... Set a fan profile on the card, and get some nice silent case fans that will be quite and aid in airflow.