Win2k's pagefile.sys. Kill your HDrive, big time!

tinzi

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2002
If someone has the solution for how to delete the file, if is deletable; if not, can i move it to my other partition? I have no 1gb for that unknowning file in my win2k drive.

Thanks alot

j

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Open “Control Panel”...”System”…”Advanced”…”Performance/Settings”…”Virtual Memory/Change”.
From there you can set the size and what drive you want to put the pagefile.sys on.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OldBear has it exactly right. And by the way, that file is your virtual memory (swap file). It just has a different name in Win2K and WinXP. You might want to resize it, but I wouldn't recommend eliminating it until you understand more about your system settings. You could render the computer unbootable.

There are some programs that need virtual memory to run correctly, even with large amounts of physical memory on the mainboard ... some of them won't even install unless a paging file is detected, and is of a certain size.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>