  • Phones
Last response: in Brands
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:07:55 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Hi
Has anyone else had problems with PC Suite? I found with the old ver
(v5.1), the program used to close at random when the phone was connected.
The new software downloaded from Nokia's website (v6.2) doesn't even get
going without throwing up errors about missing parts. I've tried
uninstalling and using Nokia's registry entry removal prog too. Baffled...
other people seem to be able to use this prog fine. I just want to move my
texts from the phone to the PC and backup my address book - sync with
Outlook 2003 calendar would be good too)

I'm using WinXP Pro, Nokia 6100, IR dongle, PC Suite v6.2.

Any help would be most appreciated.
lexster

More about : nokia suite problems

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 10:53:22 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Unless there are features or bugs that cause you problems, there is no
reason to move to the latest version of Nokia PC Suite as each later version
gets more and more unstable and has a higher resource requirement. Also, if
you get a version that's pretty recent, it will stop support for older
phones. At the end of the day, if you just use it for texting, why do you
need the latest version?

I would personally use the version that is recommended for the Nokia 7250i.

The only issue with this version is that if you hit the reply button on a
text message sent to you, whilst the reply text is highlighted, you can't
just type away as focus is not in the editor window.

AMO

"Lexster" <anyone@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Has anyone else had problems with PC Suite? I found with the old ver
> (v5.1), the program used to close at random when the phone was connected.
> The new software downloaded from Nokia's website (v6.2) doesn't even get
> going without throwing up errors about missing parts. I've tried
> uninstalling and using Nokia's registry entry removal prog too.
Baffled...
> other people seem to be able to use this prog fine. I just want to move
my
> texts from the phone to the PC and backup my address book - sync with
> Outlook 2003 calendar would be good too)
>
> I'm using WinXP Pro, Nokia 6100, IR dongle, PC Suite v6.2.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
> lexster
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:45:07 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"NoSpam" <NoSpam@SpamFreeWorld.com> wrote in

> Unless there are features or bugs that cause you problems, there is no
> reason to move to the latest version of Nokia PC Suite as each later
> version gets more and more unstable and has a higher resource
> requirement. Also, if you get a version that's pretty recent, it will
> stop support for older phones. At the end of the day, if you just use
> it for texting, why do you need the latest version?
>
> I would personally use the version that is recommended for the Nokia
> 7250i.
>
> The only issue with this version is that if you hit the reply button
> on a text message sent to you, whilst the reply text is highlighted,
> you can't just type away as focus is not in the editor window.
>
> AMO

The version that came with the phone (can't remember but I think it's v5.1)
had an annoying habit of shutting down for no reason making it pretty much
unuseable. The version that's recommended for the 7250i is the latest
version (v6.2). See here: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,5085,00.html
Ideally I would like to use the PC Sync function with Outlook to sync with
my calendar. Still none the wiser... Not too impressed with Nokia's
software - seems very flakey and buggy. I'll have another go at installing
the original software that came with the handset before I throw it out of
the window :)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 1:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Not too impressed with Nokia's
> software - seems very flakey and buggy. I'll have another go at installing
> the original software that came with the handset before I throw it out of
> the window :)

Try Mobius from logomanager.co.uk. Less problematic to transfer SMS
and phonebook contacts. No sync Outlook though.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 10:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

If you're using the version that came with the 7250i then there shouldn't be
a problem - at the time I downloaded it, it was the version for the 7250i -
its the Nokia PC Suite version 5.16.

I have experienced problems with it shutting down in the past before. This
is not to do with any particular version of the Nokia PC Suite.

However, I don't know why it happens. It's easiest to duplicate this
problem by installing the version recommended for the Nokia 7210.

However, if you' ve got the patience, I recommend an extreme measure:
1) Reformat your hard drive and re-install windows with all the latest
updates.
2) Install the version for the Nokia 7250i software.

The reason why I believe that you experience the automatic shutting down of
the software is because of timeouts upon initialisation. If the Nokia Phone
Editor does not initialise and finish reading the phone within a given
timeframe, it will error and crash out. Once it has finished reading the
phone, it gradually becomes more stable until ofcourse when you next launch
the software.

I don't know why it happens, but it happens. It might be the version of the
software or speed of machine - not sure.

However, whilst I have experienced the same problems that you have, I can
vouch that the version of the software I currently use works fine on Windows
ME and Windows XP in both Home and Professional Editions.

It is worth pursuing getting this software working as it is fantastic.
Especially the synchronising with Outlook. This makes your contacts easy to
maintain and gives you the ability to make all your Nokia phones have the
same contacts without typing it into each one manually.

> "NoSpam" <NoSpam@SpamFreeWorld.com> wrote in
>
> > Unless there are features or bugs that cause you problems, there is no
> > reason to move to the latest version of Nokia PC Suite as each later
> > version gets more and more unstable and has a higher resource
> > requirement. Also, if you get a version that's pretty recent, it will
> > stop support for older phones. At the end of the day, if you just use
> > it for texting, why do you need the latest version?
> >
> > I would personally use the version that is recommended for the Nokia
> > 7250i.
> >
> > The only issue with this version is that if you hit the reply button
> > on a text message sent to you, whilst the reply text is highlighted,
> > you can't just type away as focus is not in the editor window.
> >
> > AMO
> >
> The version that came with the phone (can't remember but I think it's
v5.1)
> had an annoying habit of shutting down for no reason making it pretty much
> unuseable. The version that's recommended for the 7250i is the latest
> version (v6.2). See here: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,5085,00.html
> Ideally I would like to use the PC Sync function with Outlook to sync with
> my calendar. Still none the wiser... Not too impressed with Nokia's
> software - seems very flakey and buggy. I'll have another go at
installing
> the original software that came with the handset before I throw it out of
> the window :)
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 12:57:12 AM

Il Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:46:25 +0100, "NoSpam"
<NoSpam@SpamFreeWorld.com> apparentemente scrisse:

>However, if you' ve got the patience, I recommend an extreme measure:
>1) Reformat your hard drive and re-install windows with all the latest
>updates.
>2) Install the version for the Nokia 7250i software.

That's exactly what Italian customer service said to me. They don't
know that version 5 is for win9x and version 6 is for XP. Reformatting
won't do anything!

See the USA site for example, where version are correctly specified.

(of course I resolved, with 7210, version 6 and XP Pro).

--
Federico Spano`
http://mate.splinder.com e' stato aggiornato l'8 luglio 2004

> If you're using the version that came with the 7250i then there
> shouldn't be a problem - at the time I downloaded it, it was the
> version for the 7250i - its the Nokia PC Suite version 5.16.
>
> I have experienced problems with it shutting down in the past before.
> This is not to do with any particular version of the Nokia PC Suite.
>
> However, I don't know why it happens. It's easiest to duplicate this
> problem by installing the version recommended for the Nokia 7210.
>
> However, if you' ve got the patience, I recommend an extreme measure:
> 1) Reformat your hard drive and re-install windows with all the latest
> updates.
> 2) Install the version for the Nokia 7250i software.
>
> The reason why I believe that you experience the automatic shutting
> down of the software is because of timeouts upon initialisation. If
> the Nokia Phone Editor does not initialise and finish reading the
> phone within a given timeframe, it will error and crash out. Once it
> has finished reading the phone, it gradually becomes more stable until
> ofcourse when you next launch the software.
>
> I don't know why it happens, but it happens. It might be the version
> of the software or speed of machine - not sure.
>
> However, whilst I have experienced the same problems that you have, I
> can vouch that the version of the software I currently use works fine
> on Windows ME and Windows XP in both Home and Professional Editions.
>
> It is worth pursuing getting this software working as it is fantastic.
> Especially the synchronising with Outlook. This makes your contacts
> easy to maintain and gives you the ability to make all your Nokia
> phones have the same contacts without typing it into each one
> manually.
>
> AMO

Thanks for that, I've downloaded v5.16 (found it on Nokia Asia site) and
will try it tomorrow... No way am I re-formatting my hard disk tho! My
machine is lean(ish) and has all the latest service packs and updates.
Lexster