Computer Instability after CPU upgrade.

ProfessorSnake

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Hello,
I recently upgraded my CPU from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad Q6600. Ever since the upgrade, my computer has been quite unstable; applications are frequently crashing, Flash Player crashes 2-6 seconds after trying to watch a video and all games crash 10 minutes after they are launched (Tested with Hitman Sniper Challenge, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Skyrim). I already tested my RAM and HDDs for issues, formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows and updated my BIOS. The CPU idles at about 40 degrees celsius and reaches up to 65 degrees when stress-testing with prime95.
My system specs:
Win7 Ultimate SP1 x64
The aforementioned CPU.
4 GBs of RAM.
The GPU is most likely irrelevant , ATi HD 4850.
Motherboard: Foxconn P43A01, Intel P43 chipset, socket 775.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest and greatest? Version 9.1.1.1020 dated 13 Sept 2010? found here
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000397&category=C000000001&brand=en-us0000001&Series=en-us0000002&chipset=en-us0000135&keywords=&sort=
If not, that might be the ticket

Things to check would be that all your hardware, GPU Memory etc are seated properly, take them out and reseat to be sure. Check that all power connectors are connected properly. On the subject of power, your PSU is up to the job of providing the extra power the CPU upgrade needs is it ?
I know its not a huge difference but if you were borderline before its possible that such a small increase could tip things over. Not probable but worth checking.

Was there any mention of the Bios update needing any Windows updates that you might be missing ?

I'm not being funny here but if you keep crashing then how did you manage to run prime ?

Are you getting a blue screen or just crash straight to a black screen with everything shut down ?

If you are getting a blue screen then check the error code on-line to see what it means.

Memory issues don't have to be confined to your actual system memory GPU memory and CPU cache memory can also cause these issues.

Mactronix :)

ProfessorSnake

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I am prett sure my PSU sufficiently powers up my system so i don't think that's the issue. The funny thing is that Prime95 also crashed after about 10 minutes. The crashes are not in the form of BSODs, but the programs stop working. How can i check the CPU cache memory for issues?
I also forgot to mention that i am running the SP1 version of Win7, so i don't think any updates are needed.

TRENDING THREADS