Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Monitor does not get signal from GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 14, 2012 5:30:06 AM

My graphicts card which is a 9500gt is connected to my monitor firmly but the monitor just go so sleep mode. Whats the problem?

More about : monitor signal gpu

a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 5:46:35 AM

Did you recently replace your monitor or graphics?
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 8:19:58 AM

no, the whole thing just happened when i turned on my monitor this morning
m
0
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:23:00 AM

blazorthon said:
Did you recently replace your monitor or graphics?

no, the whole thing just happened when i turned on my monitor this morning
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 9:08:52 AM

I have a similar problem with several of my older machines. What I do to fix it is open it up, unplug everything, and then clean it all out with compressed air. After that, I just connect it all together again and it works just fine for a few months to a few years. It's generally a good idea to clean a computer's case (and the PSU) at least once a year.

For example, I would unplug the power supply's connectors, blast them all with compressed air, and then plug them back in after I clean the rest of the case, fans, and PSU with the compressed air and a small, dry towel for the dust that is not removed by the compressed air. Give it a try and see how it works. If you don't have a canister of compressed air, you can go to most large stores (such as walmart, target, kmart, etc) and buy some there. Make sure it's safe for use on electronics (if it's safe for electronics use, then it should say so on the can).
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 9:21:56 AM

just cleaned everything inside my case, put it back altogether, and it still has the problem. I tried my vga port on my integrated graphics card and it still has the same problem. By the way, I am certain that the monitor and all the cables are still good because i tried it recently on my laptop.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 9:23:06 AM

blazorthon said:
I have a similar problem with several of my older machines. What I do to fix it is open it up, unplug everything, and then clean it all out with compressed air. After that, I just connect it all together again and it works just fine for a few months to a few years. It's generally a good idea to clean a computer's case (and the PSU) at least once a year.

For example, I would unplug the power supply's connectors, blast them all with compressed air, and then plug them back in after I clean the rest of the case, fans, and PSU with the compressed air and a small, dry towel for the dust that is not removed by the compressed air. Give it a try and see how it works. If you don't have a canister of compressed air, you can go to most large stores (such as walmart, target, kmart, etc) and buy some there. Make sure it's safe for use on electronics (if it's safe for electronics use, then it should say so on the can).

just cleaned everything inside my case, put it back altogether, and it still has the problem. I tried my vga port on my integrated graphics card and it still has the same problem. By the way, I am certain that the monitor and all the cables are still good because i tried it recently on my laptop.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 9:53:50 AM

JayrollLim said:
just cleaned everything inside my case, put it back altogether, and it still has the problem. I tried my vga port on my integrated graphics card and it still has the same problem. By the way, I am certain that the monitor and all the cables are still good because i tried it recently on my laptop.


Maybe the external connectors are bad, or one of your components has failed. If you haven't already, you can try cleaning the display output ports and cables.

After that, if it still doesn't work (it probably won't), then it's time to start trouble shooting the components.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 9:56:05 AM

blazorthon said:
Maybe the external connectors are bad, or one of your components has failed. If you haven't already, you can try cleaning the display output ports and cables.

After that, if it still doesn't work (it probably won't), then it's time to start trouble shooting the components.

I suspect both my onboard and pcie gpu were both dead
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 10:01:08 AM

If both the integrated graphics and a discrete graphics card have the same problem, then they are either both dead (least likely), or probably not the cause (most likely). That leaves the PSU, RAM, CPU, and motherboard as most likely failed components because it's not common for both the integrated and the discrete graphics in a computer to fail at the same time, unless you use them both at the same time (even then, it usually is one or the other if there is a failure, not both).

First things first, if your motherboard has a hard BIOS reset button, then press that and see if it works. If you don;t have one or you do have one and it doesn't work, then the next thing to try is removing the motherboard's battery and then putting it back in thirty seconds after you remove it. If it still doesn't work, then you might need to remove some components and test them in a different PC.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 10:15:41 AM

blazorthon said:
If both the integrated graphics and a discrete graphics card have the same problem, then they are either both dead (least likely), or probably not the cause (most likely). That leaves the PSU, RAM, CPU, and motherboard as most likely failed components because it's not common for both the integrated and the discrete graphics in a computer to fail at the same time, unless you use them both at the same time (even then, it usually is one or the other if there is a failure, not both).

First things first, if your motherboard has a hard BIOS reset button, then press that and see if it works. If you don;t have one or you do have one and it doesn't work, then the next thing to try is removing the motherboard's battery and then putting it back in thirty seconds after you remove it. If it still doesn't work, then you might need to remove some components and test them in a different PC.

ok, ill try that. but what would you say to your father if you broke his pc? (serious question)
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 10:38:08 AM

JayrollLim said:
ok, ill try that. but what would you say to your father if you broke his pc? (serious question)


Good question... However, I don't live with my parents anymore, so I don't know how I would react to such a situation. To be fair, it might not be directly your fault, it just happened when you were using it. It would have happened soon regardless, unless you did something like spilling liquid inside the case or something else like that to cause the problem.
Share
May 14, 2012 10:43:29 AM

blazorthon said:
Good question... However, I don't live with my parents anymore, so I don't know how I would react to such a situation. To be fair, it might not be directly your fault, it just happened when you were using it. It would have happened soon regardless, unless you did something like spilling liquid inside the case or something else like that.

Ok, I actually broke (but not intentionally) 2 pc's in just a day!! Thanks for everything man. I guess I'll just tell him the truth :) 
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 10:46:24 AM

Just tell him it just stopped working? It's not like your parents are from stone age and think that electronics last forever. If he doesn't feel OK with you tinkering with it, let him do it himself. If it's his PC, you should inform him about it before doing anything.
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 10:58:37 AM

Sunius said:
Just tell him it just stopped working? It's not like your parents are from stone age and think that electronics last forever. If he doesn't feel OK with you tinkering with it, let him do it himself. If it's his PC, you should inform him about it before doing anything.

ok man. you are awesome!
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 10:59:08 AM

Best answer selected by JayrollLim.
m
0
l
!