Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good budget graphics card under 100 dollars (before rebate)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2012 5:51:12 AM

I have an Intel c2d e7300 2.66 ghz
2 gb ram
450 W odyssey psu(not a high end one but cheap )
Win 7 32
Gigabyte gag31m mobo with 1 pciex16 slot
I want a card which will run and fit on my mobo and my psu which doesn't require external 6pin connector. It can be nvidia or ati. I want to play bf3, latest games with settings at least medium at 1280 x 720 or higher res (max 1440 x something)
Which budget card will last me 2 or 2 and half years with settings at low to med?
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 5:55:37 AM

If it absolutely has to be below 100, wait for a 7750 to go on sale. Normally I would suggest a 6670 but since the release of the 7750 its just not worth it to even look at them for gaming considering price/performance differences.

(and think about adding another 2gb of ram)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:05:12 AM

An HD6670, or Nvidia GT440 is the best you can get that will run with your power supply, unless you can an HD 7750 for that price. The 7750 would probably be the best of the 3, and are only slightly over $100..cheapest I could find is here at $112

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 6:18:28 AM

But according to amd website, 7750 requires 4 gb ram and it is pcie 3.0 so I think it won't work properly
I may upgrade to 4 gig but I have 32 bit so I can't use it all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:40:35 AM

Hmmm, true 3.0 "might" have some problems with 1.1, I'm not entirely sure as I haven't really read up on this matter yet. However that requirement about 4g of ram is just more of a general guideline really.

and yes since you have 32bit the most you can use is 3.4g - 3.7g, however it will still be a noticeable upgrade

Edit: and I've had a known working 2.0 card, put it in a known working 1.1 slot, and it didn't work.

Sometimes you get motherboards that just act stupid on you.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 6:45:36 AM

PCIe is completely backwards compatible (PCIe 3.0 devices can run at PCIe 1.x specifications). The problem isn't the PCIe, it's that some older motherboards don't support newer graphics cards in the BIOS. Some boards can solve that with a BIOS update, some can't (because their manufacturer didn't care to add support for newer cards). A PCIe 3.0 card CAN run on a PCIe 1.x motherboard if the BIOS is up to date. Make sure that your motherboard supports new graphics cards. If it does and it needs a BIOS update, then update the BIOS. If it does and it doesn't need an update, then you don't need to do anything other than plug the card in after you buy it. If your motherboard does not work with newer cards, then there's nothing that can be done to get a newer card to run on it. Sometimes, such older motherboards don't even support the latest PCIe 2.x cards because of their old BIOS, so the only way to know if it can be done is to check.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:02:42 AM

most of the people who uses old pc uses hd 7740 on there pcie 1.1 compatible mobo and they work proparly all the pcie are forward backward compatible with each other i think you will not get any issues but not sure i think you should go with hd 6770 just make sure that your psu is of good quality and has one pcie 6 pin pcie connector.:) 
m
l
May 14, 2012 7:12:40 AM

Can anyone check my motherboard (GA-G31M-S2l with intel c2d, 1 pcie x16) for bios updates and search whether latest graphics cards will work.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:16:38 AM

yes that hd 7750 will work with your whole specs you are good to go no need to worry.:) 

there will be no such issues as performance decrease and all that on pcie 1.1 it will be fine.:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:20:35 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I don't see anything stating that it supports 3.0/2.0 what bios revision are you using?

Are you planning on upgrading the proc/mobo and time soon? if not then I would just grab a 6670 its the safest option and most likely the performance of your cpu will hold you back anyhow.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:49:38 AM

mouse24 said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I don't see anything stating that it supports 3.0/2.0 what bios revision are you using?

Are you planning on upgrading the proc/mobo and time soon? if not then I would just grab a 6670 its the safest option and most likely the performance of your cpu will hold you back anyhow.

The board doesn't need to support PCIe 2.x or 3.0 because the cards all support all versions of PCIe. Also, that Core 2 Duo is not going to bottle-neck a 7750. Again, whether or not the 7750 would be supported depends on whether or not the motherboard's BIOS supports the latest graphics cards.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:52:41 AM

^+1
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 8:29:08 AM

blazorthon said:
The board doesn't need to support PCIe 2.x or 3.0 because the cards all support all versions of PCIe. Also, that Core 2 Duo is not going to bottle-neck a 7750. Again, whether or not the 7750 would be supported depends on whether or not the motherboard's BIOS supports the latest graphics cards.

Thats what i meant, I assume if they add 2.0 support they are gonna hype the crap outta it, or atleast state it on a list of bios revisions, I even linked the bios page.

and the core 2 duo @2.6 most certainly will be a limiting factor in cpu heavy games like BF3 multiplayer. (this is mostly my opinion as I cannot find any benchmarks of this proc. the minimum system requirements are a C2D @ 2.0 though so you should atleast get playable frames on low from it. at the very least.)

Gonna admit I might be wrong on the cpu part so don't quote me, I thought BF3 was alot more cpu intensive than this. (dunno if this was on multiplayer as I just flipped through the article.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 9:05:42 AM

mouse24 said:
Thats what i meant, I assume if they add 2.0 support they are gonna hype the crap outta it, or atleast state it on a list of bios revisions, I even linked the bios page.

and the core 2 duo @2.6 most certainly will be a limiting factor in cpu heavy games like BF3 multiplayer. (this is mostly my opinion as I cannot find any benchmarks of this proc. the minimum system requirements are a C2D @ 2.0 though so you should atleast get playable frames on low from it. at the very least.)

Gonna admit I might be wrong on the cpu part so don't quote me, I thought BF3 was alot more cpu intensive than this. (dunno if this was on multiplayer as I just flipped through the article.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

As CPU intensive as BF3 can be, it's only being used with a 7750 in this situation. Not a very CPU intensive situation when the 7750 is concerned, it's hardly any faster than the 6750/5750 and GTX 550 TI. Besides, 2.66GHz is closer to 2.7GHz than it is to 2.6GHz.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 9:20:36 AM

You don't need to support 2.0 or 3.0 in BIOS. The compatibility problems came from PCIe 2.1 version, which they had an experimental firmware which wasn't compatible with older slots. PCIe 2.1 standard was just a pre-3.0 version, and they fixed it in PCie 3.0. It will work without any BIOS updates.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:23:23 AM

So which graphic card do I buy which works on my mobo without any problems?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 9:25:01 AM

If PCIe 3.0 has no problems at all with older an BIOS, then the 7750 is the best option.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:47:38 AM

But I want it to work but not fail since I'm screwed by Parents if it doesn't work. So which card can run games at least at med and will definitely work?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 9:51:46 AM

The 7750 is the fastest card that you can get for your computer and it should work. There is no reference card that is faster than the 7750 and that does not require at least a 6 pin PCIe power connector.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:57:03 AM

Sure that it will work?
I don't mind 10 percent performance difference but I just want it to work
m
l

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 9:58:41 AM

The 7750 is the best video card that you can get if you don't have a power supply that has at least one PCIe power connector. If it doesn't work, then just return it, get a refund for it, and then try a different card. No matter what, you will never have a guarantee that any technology will work, the best you can hope for is someone telling you that it will probably work and that is what we are telling you. It should work. If you want to, you can give it a try. If it works, then great. If not, then like I said, all you have to do is return it and get another card, no harm done except a little wasted time.
May 15, 2012 8:43:15 AM

Best answer selected by maneeshthegamer.
m
l
!