One PC that I can access throught the entire house!

kuthedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Ok, so I need some help on this one, and not quite sure where to post this.

I have a new house, and would like to make one awesome PC, and be able to control it throughout my house. I don't really have an exact price range, seeing as I don't even know how to do this. I would like to kinda have a "media room" and be able to access the pc from any room with a display. The "media room" being my office. But when I go to my basement to watch tv, I'd like to switch that tv to my computer display. I can leave keyboards in any rooms, that is fine. Wireless is preferred for keyboard/mouse in each room. And then when I am done, i would like to go to bed....turn on the tv and poof, my pc is on my tv. What does it take for this to happen? Cheaper of course would be best...but what kind of numbers am I looking at?

Hmm i think what u want is a media server as the main/centralized storage of all your lovely digital files and in other rooms client/front end machines. For the server i would look at cheap or even used boards with integrated graphics and with lots of SATA ports. Look to hit no less than 2/3 TB single drives so make every port count hehe. The clients can be really small ITX/mATX machines but if you want 3D Blu Ray disc playback you best stick to W7, and TMT5/PDVD11

Edit
This board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157314
paired with a G530 looks lovely for a budget brand new home media server

kuthedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

Not exactly. I just want to access one PC from any room in the house w/ a display. For instance, let's say I want to run a game...pause it. I would like to run upstairs and resume it from a new display etc.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
AFAIK you cannot do this, at least not with just one computer. You could theoretically run a computer in each room and run a virtual desktop from each one to your main PC, but you'd have to have a lot of bandwidth on your home network and probably a strong graphics card in every computer.

I'm just speculating here, I'm not sure what would be required.