Your question

Very first-ever build-Enthusiast $1,100-1,200 revision 1

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 2:27:22 AM

Continue from last thread here, I've revised the parts: beef up RAM and mobo and reduce GPU and HDD to keep everything within budget while still reasonable

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully August
Budget Range: $1,100 - $1,200 after rebate, including shipping and tax
System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming (visual studio,MS SQL, Java, etc), Adobe photoshop, video editing, net surfing, HD-blu-ray movies watching, no gaming
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any popular website with good customer+return services + cheap price
Country: WA, US => No slow super-saver Amazon unless they are >10% cheaper than other sites as I have to pay tax there.
Parts Preferences: no preference as long as durability-quality-price balance
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: widescreen 1080+ depend on what deal I can get when the build finish :D 
Additional Comments: I would like the build to cater my need and software upgrade for at least 3.5 yrs to come. Potential reuse for next build is a plus :sol: 

• Quote:
    My questions are:
    1/. Do I need to buy additional cables for these parts: SATA III cable, Optical drive cable, dvi,power? Or are they included in the parts, especially when i buy a *Bare* drive?
    Sorry if the question is silly cuz this is my very 1st build :) 
    2/. Do Newegg, b&H charge tax for WA shipment?
    3/. Should I consider eCost and mwave.com? They have very good rating on resellerratings.com but since I'll buy expensive stuffs I am still a bit uncomfortable

Thanks for all the replies :D 

And here is the revised list:

• + CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770
  • + Stock CPU Cooler
  • + Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • + Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
  • + SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • + SATA disk: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • + Graphic card: ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
  • + Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX PS2 / EPS 12V
  • + Case fan: COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case Fan
  • + PSU: Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power
  • + Blu-ray Combo: LITE-ON H/H Internal BD Combo with Nero Essential SATA Model IHES312-98
  • + Wifi adapter: Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI Wireless Adapter

Tools to buy: Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit

The list also available here
  • More about : build enthusiast 100 200 revision

July 7, 2012 3:07:05 AM

To answer your questions:
    1. The motherboard will come with two sata cables. DVD, SSD, HDD. You probably want to add one more. Sata III is exactly the same as II, but built to better tolerances. Might as well get III.

2) No idea. Try an order, and cancel it at the last moment to see.

3) I have no experience with them, but I have not had any problem with newegg, amazon, or a number of other places. If a part is specialized, or out of stock at newegg, then shop elsewhere. For the most part, prices are competitive.

As to the build:

Remember, prices will change between now and August. In a year from now, there will be another generation, requiring a different socket on the motherboard. Don't worry about that, yes, we will get better price performance, but not a revolution. If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

The 3770 is appropriate for your use. But for a bit more, I would buy the 3770K. The "K" allows you a simple overclock by raising the multiplier from the default 3.5 to 4.3 and higher. That is over 20% gain for < 10% cost. You may choose not to do this initially, but it is good to have that option on a long term purchase.

I think I would buy a 16gb ram kit in the 2 x 8gb format, not 4 x 4gb. You preserve your option to go to 32 gb.

If you will do no gaming, then the integrated graphics should be sufficient. Why not defer the graphics card until you find you need it for a perticular reason. It is very easy to add one later. Some of your apps might be able to take advantage of CUDA processing, available on Nvidia cards. I am no expert there, you should look into it.

You will never make up for the price difference in electricity with the gold and platinum rated power supplies.
    A 550-650w unit is good. Actually, you can run on as little as 300w as configured. But I like to have a bit of reserve so the psu fan does not have to work so hard and will be quieter. Stick with known quality units like Antec Seasonic, PC P&C, XFX, and Corsair. Here is a good unit, one among many: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As a first time builder, I suggest you buy an aftermarket cpu cooler. The pushpin mount on the stock Intel cooler is notoriously tricky for the novice to install well. A simple cooler like the cm hyper212(about$30) has a backplate mount that is simpler and more secure. The larger 120mm fan will keep your cpu cooler and quieter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, take the time now to download and read, cover to cover, the manuals for the case and the motherboard. Much will be learned.

---------good luck------------
    m
    l
    July 7, 2012 3:17:41 AM

The build that you have there is very good and needs no changes , most of the cables that you are referring to will come with the motherboard. Sata cables will come with the motherboard and not the hard drive. A dvi cable will usually come with the monitor and if it doesn't then you have to buy one seperatly.
    Online stores have to charge tax when they have a store in the state that you live in , so if there is a Newegg store in Wa then they have to charge you tax. I have never bought from ecost or mwave so I can't say what they are like.
    If you have a Micro Center store near where you live you should buy your parts there because even after tax you will save money as long as you know your prices from the other places.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    July 7, 2012 4:08:57 AM

hi guys, thank you so much for your responses, they are very detailed :x

August plan is for the finance to settle in :", cuz my free time is on and off so i figures i should start planning and learning from now, so many things are at stake haha.

And thanks geofelt for the comment, it is very enlightening, I will revise the memory,PSU, cooler, especially, and if possible the CPU still scare of overclock tho :"

inzone, Micro Center doesn't have store in WA :( .

for the cables, maybe I will go to BestBuy or Fry if I end up needing any.

Quote:

For the GPU though, I know GPU doesn't affect video encoding, but does it affect maximum screen resolution and Blu-ray HD playback?

I know some monitor can't use max 1900x1200 resolution because GPU doesn't support and a quick search seems like GPU also affect Blu-ray playback?

Anyone has experience with this matter?
    m
    l
    July 7, 2012 6:19:42 PM

Let me be clearer. You will need a sata cable for the ssd, the dvd, and the hard dtive. Total 3. The motherboard will come with two, leaving you short one. No big deal, just order one or two along with your parts, they are cheap.

Every monitor I know of will come with a dvi cable and a power. But check the box or documentation to be certain.

Some power supplies are now shipping without a standard power cable. They say to save the environment, I say to save themselves money. Bad idea IMO.

Most decent graphics cards can support 1920 x 1200. I doubt this would be a problem. It does not take much graphics power to handle HD video playback. Integrated graphics can, and that is the equivalent of a $50 discrete graphics card.
    m
    l
    July 7, 2012 6:29:13 PM

My motherboard came with 4.
    m
    l
    July 7, 2012 6:34:54 PM

azeem40 said:
    My motherboard came with 4.

I looked at the mobo the OP linked to on newegg, and the parts package looked like two.
    I could be wrong if they were packaged in two's.
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 5:37:57 AM

2 x 8GB instead of 4 x 4GB will give you more room for future expansion.

I'd also ditch the tool kit as the only thing you really need to build a computer is a Philips head screw driver. You should also wait until you get your build setup before purchasing extra case fans so you can see how your air flow will look. I'd suggest reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 7:12:52 AM

@g-unit111: i opted for G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL and
    ASUS GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 lower graphic card
    and a cheaper 80+Bronze PSU:

• Do you think this 1333 is ok? I read and it appears there is no significant difference between it and 1600.
    The edited list is here https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as..., a bit over $1,100 not incl shipping (hopefully no tax)

• Is there any special reason for a Philips head screw driver?
    I have many screw drivers with different shape & size for home electricity and mechanical work,watch battery change etc. Will they be fine for this job and should I worry about this "DEMAGNETIZED" issue

May be I will buy the wrist strap,my cloth and carpet has a lot of static

• I chose the fan cause the case doesn't have top fan (it says 'Optional'). Can I get by with top fan.

I don't think I can fulfill the max $1,200 budget and am trying to bring things below $1,100.
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 7:48:15 AM

Quote:
    canhcutvl

@g-unit111: i opted for G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL and
    ASUS GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 lower graphic card
    and a cheaper 80+Bronze PSU:

Do you think this 1333 is ok? I read and it appears there is no significant difference between it and 1600.

The edited list is here https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/ [...] D=20778466, a bit over $1,100 not incl shipping (hopefully no tax)

1333 is fine, you won't notice the speed difference.

I wouldn't go with a lesser GPU - that doesn't make a lot of sense. Your GPU is just as important as the CPU.

Quote:
    Is there any special reason for a Philips head screw driver?

I have many screw drivers with different shape & size for home electricity and mechanical work,watch battery change etc. Will they be fine for this job and should I worry about this "DEMAGNETIZED" issue

All PC components use Philips head screws. You won't need anything else. Don't build your build on carpet - use a plastic floor mat or build on a clean surface, you'll be fine.

Quote:
    I chose the fan cause the case doesn't have top fan (it says 'Optional'). Can I get by with top fan.

Yeah you can get by without the top fan initially. Check out the link I posted earlier - that will tell you all you need to know.

I don't think I can fulfill the max $1,200 budget and am trying to bring things below $1,100.

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($256.97 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $977.88
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

You can upgrade to the 3770 and still come in under budget.
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 8:41:28 AM

Thanks, but I also want 16GB RAM SSD and Blu-ray :D . I don't game now (at all) so the projected gaming usage in the next 3.5 yr will be light games. Right now the cost is $1132 not incl shipping (and tax). That's pretty close, cheaper with same quality is awesome but I can't go any higher
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 5:29:39 PM

canhcutvl said:
    Thanks, but I also want 16GB RAM SSD and Blu-ray :D . I don't game now (at all) so the projected gaming usage in the next 3.5 yr will be light games. Right now the cost is $1132 not incl shipping (and tax). That's pretty close, cheaper with same quality is awesome but I can't go any higher

You won't use 16GB of RAM on a gaming system (no games currently use over 6GB) - as for the SSD and Blu Ray those really aren't obtainable if you're trying to keep budget below $1100, you can always add those things later.
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 6:15:18 PM

You r right,but right now at work I used 60-70% of an 8 gb RAM machine. .i think I should be fine with the current plan then . Besides,there are still a lot of things to learn abt the assembly process :D 
    m
    l
    July 8, 2012 10:45:35 PM

canhcutvl said:
    You r right,but right now at work I used 60-70% of an 8 gb RAM machine. .i think I should be fine with the current plan then . Besides,there are still a lot of things to learn abt the assembly process :D 

Yeah but most games won't use 1/2 that.

As far as the assembly part goes - the only real tricky parts are getting your cooler setup, making sure the fans point the right way, and hooking the case wires to the motherboard. Other than that everything else hooks into place.
    m
    l
    July 14, 2012 10:07:52 PM

hi guys, cable question again: are SATA power cables included if I buy a bare-drive?

I already ordered everything and expect to receive this monday. Just find out you need SATA power cable as well as SATA data cable. I initially thought they r the same :( 

Or they come with the PSU? :pt1cable:  here
    m
    l
    July 14, 2012 10:11:20 PM

Your motherboard comes with them, as stated on the second post of this thread.
    m
    l
    July 14, 2012 10:12:40 PM

yes, but that is for the data, how about the power for that drive?

Please have a look here,u will understand my question: until now i know the 1 on the left come with the mobo how about the one on the right? come with PSU?
    m
    l
    July 14, 2012 10:20:41 PM

Yes, those are attached to your PSU, as the PSU is providing the power for the Hard Drive.
    m
    l
    July 14, 2012 10:56:27 PM

g-unit1111 said:
    Yeah but most games won't use 1/2 that.

As far as the assembly part goes - the only real tricky parts are getting your cooler setup, making sure the fans point the right way, and hooking the case wires to the motherboard. Other than that everything else hooks into place.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming (visual studio,MS SQL, Java, etc), Adobe photoshop, video editing, net surfing, HD-blu-ray movies watching, no gaming

This is why the OP needs 16gb of ram.
    m
    l
    July 21, 2012 6:28:55 AM

Hi all, I'm done with the build, love it so much :x it has been running for 2 days with no problem now :"
    m
    l
    !