Sign in with
Your question

Eyefinity MLAA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2012 7:14:42 AM

Why can I not enable MLAA in some games with a HUGE performance hit to the point of unplayable?

If I have "Morphological filtering" enabled, and I play a game like Alan Wake or Battlefield 3 - the framerate hits 2-10FPS on my 6990. It's unbearable! I want to use MLAA so badly because as a triple monitor user, I want my full resolution at a solid framerate. Instead of having 60000x AA enabled, I personally prefer MLAA and maybe~ 2xAA with 60FPS.

MLAA is supposed to be "cheap-yet-effective" AA, but from my experience this isn't cheap unless Im at a standard resolution.

More about : eyefinity mlaa

May 18, 2012 12:58:14 AM

OmegaNemesis28 said:
Why can I not enable MLAA in some games with a HUGE performance hit to the point of unplayable?

If I have "Morphological filtering" enabled, and I play a game like Alan Wake or Battlefield 3 - the framerate hits 2-10FPS on my 6990. It's unbearable! I want to use MLAA so badly because as a triple monitor user, I want my full resolution at a solid framerate. Instead of having 60000x AA enabled, I personally prefer MLAA and maybe~ 2xAA with 60FPS.

MLAA is supposed to be "cheap-yet-effective" AA, but from my experience this isn't cheap unless Im at a standard resolution.

The technology doesn't work correctly on all games. There isn't really a fix for this. In some games, such as Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2, the MLAA works wonders, but with others, it lags worse than regular aa. My recommendation is to switch to Adaptive Anti Aliasing and use only 4x. This will clear up jagged edges and look almost as good as 8x, or any higher. Super sampling is bad for a triple monitor setup.
m
l
May 18, 2012 1:19:37 AM

I was just talking yesterday about SSAA, it just works well with one game and fail in others, took several screenshots to differentiate between MSAA and SSAA and couldn't find a difference.

That's true, MLAA works great in some games but produces several artifacts in some others.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-nvidi...
m
l
!