Gaming while multitasking

LeoMatrix

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I'm building my first pc right now. I'm wondering between 2 cpu i5 2500k and i7 3770k. My main use of the pc is gaming. I read a lot of posts saying that 3770k is only a few fps higher. However, I assume, in those benchmarks, they only run the game but nothing else. What if I'm running the game while opening bunch of other heavy tasks? What would be better? Both CPUs are now on sale: $99 for 2500k and $230 for 3770k. But it's still a $130 difference. Some opinion please, I'm confused :sweat:

Solution
The i5s are the best for gaming, as they have 4 physical cores only, with no Hyperthreading (which is not supported by Games).

But, as you said, you'll be multitasking while gaming, i7s should be your choice. And, that price difference is for this factor only. Otherwise, you won't see any major performance difference between the 2, in gaming benchmarks.

So, IMO go with i7 3770k.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
The i5s are the best for gaming, as they have 4 physical cores only, with no Hyperthreading (which is not supported by Games).

But, as you said, you'll be multitasking while gaming, i7s should be your choice. And, that price difference is for this factor only. Otherwise, you won't see any major performance difference between the 2, in gaming benchmarks.

So, IMO go with i7 3770k.

Solution

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Do you plan on using it for gaming only? What kind of multitasking are we talking about? If you plan on doing video editing or rendering, a i7 will be quite a bit better as it has hyperthreading. So an i7 is better at some heavy multitasking tasks, but if you just plan to game, and have something running in the background, an i5-2500k can be overclocked and will be more than enough. However the $130 premium is not necessarily worth it if you just plan on gaming.

Hope this helps!

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Actually, you answered your question yourself...
So, try not to include "What you think" in asking the questions to get unbiased and informative responses.

solar1992

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Erm... Games are written with numbers of threads, I don't think anything is really written in particular to support Hyperthreading. If its enabled, the OS will try to schedule threads accordingly. If it isn't, then the OS will still schedule threads accordingly. Applications don't have to really think about it too much. But they do technically support hyperthreading even if they derive no benefit.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Yes, You are correct. I also wanted to convey the same, just couldn't get the words (English is not Native to me).
I think the more appropriate would be if I said "Most of the Games are not benefitted by Hyperthreading".

koreanzombie

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

You'll see a difference....2-3 fps LOL!