Video Issues

bjw

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Hey everyone, I recently built a new computer and everything was going fine aside for artifacts. From POST to desktop, I would have green vertical lines running across my screen, but over time they would disappear. The problem has been getting worse however, and now I pretty much just get an entirely distorted image. At first I thought it was my GPU, but then I removed it entirely and used the HDMI port on my motherboard and the problem persists. My BIOS is the most recent revision, and all of my other drivers are new; my CPU's temperatures are also fairly low (it's typically below 30 Celsius when idle and even then I'm getting these artifacts).

Is the problem my CPU? MOBO? Maybe even my PSU?

Here's a picture of what I'm seeing:

IMG_05601.jpg

Occasionally, I don't even get video--the screen will just go blank and I'll get a popup that says "Video Mode not Supported" or something like that. If I'm lucky, I'll get video a few seconds later (though heavily distorted like the image above), but usually I don't and I need to reset the power entirely.

I don't have a spare desktop, so I can't really swap around motherboards or PSUs or anything of that nature. Any help would be much appreciated. The key specs of my system are listed below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77
GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3

bjw

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, I've tried 2 different monitors, and I've also hooked up the laptop I'm currently using to both monitors using the same and different cables; both the monitor(s) and cable(s) are fine.

I just remembered something I didn't add to my original post though: occasionally, the video is perfect. It can be absolutely horrible for several minutes, then for the next few minutes, it's crystal clear. Then the screen might suddenly go blank, or it'll get all distorted again, etc. It's pretty random, and quite frustrating.

G

the problem is the same with or without the gpu, so rules that out.

check the 24 pin power connection to your motherboard. but without any spare parts/rig to swap out; gonna be a tough one to figure.