Desparate for help to get shots off CF card

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 10, 2005 4:27:01 PM

Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on the
camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.

I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could cost
me a lot of bad will in my business.

Ken

More about : desparate shots card

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:27:02 PM

Ken,
Exactly the same thing happenend to me.
In my case, unbelievable as it may seem, it was the card reader that wasn't
working.
Perhaps you can get hold of someone else's can reader and try your card? I
went to my freindly computer store. They obligingly lent me another card
reader. This one worked...
Marcel

"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
> Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
the
> camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
> reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
> for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
>
> I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
cost
> me a lot of bad will in my business.
>
> Ken

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:27:02 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on the
>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
>
>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could cost
>me a lot of bad will in my business.

Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without using a
card reader?
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

> Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
the
> camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
> reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
> for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
>
> I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
cost
> me a lot of bad will in my business.

If you can find your way around the command line, I'd make a backup of it
before I started fiddling. The easiest way would be to boot to a Knoppix
CD, then create a backup image like so:

dd if=/dev/sda1of=/some/where/file.img

That way, if any of the recovery utilities you try don't do things quite
right, you still have that backup.

steve
August 10, 2005 8:02:44 PM

"Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
>
>>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
>>the
>>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
>>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
>>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
>>
>>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
>>cost
>>me a lot of bad will in my business.
>>
> Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
> using a
> card reader?
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Thanks Charlie & Marcel
The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera via
USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
shots over.

Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood pressure
on way down - ish.

But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

Thanks again

Ken
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:02:45 PM

Ken,
I would still be worried... The USB port seems to work well. If the card
reader is OK, then what about the card?

> "Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
> >
> >>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
> >>the
> >>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
> >>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used
it
> >>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
> >>
> >>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
> >>cost
> >>me a lot of bad will in my business.
> >>
> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
> > using a
> > card reader?
> > --
> > Charlie...
> > http://www.chocphoto.com
>
> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
via
> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
> shots over.
>
> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
pressure
> on way down - ish.
>
> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Ken

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:02:46 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:31:36 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote:

>Ken,
>I would still be worried... The USB port seems to work well. If the card
>reader is OK, then what about the card?

I agree. I'd reformat the card again in the camera and take some test shots. If
the card still gives problems I'd replace it.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes in the
bin.
First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!

Thanks again

Ken

"Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Ken,
> I would still be worried... The USB port seems to work well. If the card
> reader is OK, then what about the card?
> Marcel
>

> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
>>
>> "Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> it

>> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct
>> > without
>> > using a
>> > card reader?
>> > --
>> > Charlie...
>> > http://www.chocphoto.com
>>
>> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
>> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
>> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
>> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
> via
>> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
>> shots over.
>>
>> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
> pressure
>> on way down - ish.
>>
>> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Ken

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:48:04 PM

Ken wrote:
> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes
> in the bin.
> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Ken

What size of card is it, and where did you format it?

David
August 10, 2005 9:14:56 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:7vpKe.86162$G8.34181@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Ken wrote:
>> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it goes
>> in the bin.
>> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
>> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
>> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Ken
>
> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
>
> David

256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this OK or
should I have done something different?

Ken
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:14:57 PM

Ken wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message
>> Ken wrote:
>>> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it
>>> goes in the bin.
>>> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
>>> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
>>> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
>>
>> David
>
> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
> OK or should I have done something different?
>
> Ken

No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.

Good luck,
David
August 10, 2005 10:15:18 PM

message news:tpqKe.86227$G8.23323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Ken wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>> wrote in message

>>> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
>> OK or should I have done something different?
>>
>> Ken
>
> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>
> Good luck,
> David

Think I will sling the card and get another!!

Ken
August 10, 2005 10:15:19 PM

> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
> in message news:tpqKe.86227$G8.23323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Ken wrote:
>>> "David J Taylor"
>>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>>> wrote in message

>>> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
>>> OK or should I have done something different?
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
>> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> David
>
> Think I will sling the card and get another!!
>
> Ken

You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you return
it under warrantee?

In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.

Good luck..

Jeff
August 10, 2005 11:36:07 PM

>> Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
>> using a
>> card reader?
>> --
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>
> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
> via
> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
> shots over.
>
> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
> pressure
> on way down - ish.
>
> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Ken

Just a thought that I'm sure you've already checked out. I had that problem
once and finally realized that I had set the camera to record on it's
internal memory rather than the card. So of course, there was nothing on
the card when I inserted it in my card reader.

Tom.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:20:09 AM

In article <42fa1723$0$32690$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

> "Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
> >
> >>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
> >>the
> >>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
> >>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
> >>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
> >>
> >>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
> >>cost
> >>me a lot of bad will in my business.
> >>
> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
> > using a
> > card reader?
> > --
> > Charlie...
> > http://www.chocphoto.com
>
> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera via
> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
> shots over.
>
> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood pressure
> on way down - ish.
>
> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?
August 11, 2005 10:51:26 AM

"Jeff" <jeffc714@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
>>
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
>> in message news:tpqKe.86227$G8.23323@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

>>> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
>>> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> David
>>
>> Think I will sling the card and get another!!
>>
>> Ken
>>

> You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you
> return it under warrantee?
>
> In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.
>
> Good luck..
>
> Jeff

You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and stamp on
it - with a big hammer.

Ken
August 11, 2005 10:52:14 AM

"Shawn Hirn" <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <42fa1723$0$32690$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
>
>> "Charlie Choc" <charlie.choc@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct
>> > without
>> > using a
>> > card reader?
>> > --
>> > Charlie...
>> > http://www.chocphoto.com
>>
>> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
>> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
>> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
>> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
>> via
>> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
>> shots over.
>>
>> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
>> pressure
>> on way down - ish.
>>
>> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
>
> Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?

Yes but what difference does this make?

Ken
August 11, 2005 11:40:35 AM

"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
> stamp on it - with a big hammer.

You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so bad
that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.

If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welco...
which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
on the card at all.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***
August 11, 2005 4:25:19 PM

"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>> You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
>> stamp on it - with a big hammer.
>

> You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
> things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so
> bad
> that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.
>
> If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
> recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welco...
> which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
> on the card at all.
>
> --
> CeeBee

Thanks for the tip and I will take a look.

Ken
!