Horizontal case vs Vertical tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutalv

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I am in the process of building a computer completely from scratch and am wanting to do something interesting with the case.

But on to my question, What are the benefits of a vertical computer vs a horizontal one [ie one like the old gateway 2000 where you sat a monitor on top of the case]

I have searched quite a bit and have found little to no information on this subject.

I do little paperwork on my desk and plan to use this computer for gaming primarily. I actually have one of said gateway 2000 that I plan on modifying to use in this project. key things I plan on doing that will separate its performance over towers:
psu will have the both fans open to outside of the case so that it has better cooling [sucking in outside air and blowing it back outside]
ability to put more and better placed fans in the case [being able to target key areas without worrying about disc drives blocking air flow, placing an exhaust fan directly above the cpu/gpu so that heat is sucked out before it can warm the rest of the case things like that]
not having to bend over to get to the dvd drive / any port for that matter as the case will sit directly on top of the desk.
certain graphics cards that have very heavy heatsinks/fans may warp the card over long periods of time, i wasnt even aware of this until researching this project. but anyways with a horizontal layout said cooler would not be pulling down on the card in that way.

I may be missing some points but This is all I have came up with thus far.

Solution
Desktop cases tend to be smaller with limited space for upgrade and cooling but with all those points you mention and the right case it is an viable option.
Status
Not open for further replies.