Please help me install speech recognition

I need help getting my microphone to work. I made sure volume and mute were
OK. I don't have a speech recognition tab in the control panel/speech
section. I went to Microsoft and tried what they said on how to install from
Word 2000, but I only have Office 97. I tried to install using Control
panel/ add remove programs but it says to go to Windows XP and hit change. I
don't have a program called windows xp in the populated list. I only have
windows xp hotfixes listed. Can you help? I want to get the microphone
working.
1 answer Last reply
More about please install speech recognition

    Office 97 does not have a speech recognition engine. And XP doesn't come
    with one either.

    [[There is no Speech Recognition Engine (SRE) built directly in to Windows
    XP. You need to install a compatible engine, and in most cases, you'll
    install it from one of two sources.

    1. The Microsoft SRE for Windows XP is available in Office XP applications,
    such as Microsoft Word 2002, or Microsoft Excel 2002.

    2. If you do not have one of these programs, then a less expensive option
    for installing the SRE is to purchase the Windows XP PLUS! Pack. This is
    available for less than $30 from Microsoft and other online vendors.

    3. A third option is available for advanced users. The SRE is provided for
    free as part of the Microsoft Speech Software Development Kit 5.1. Microsoft
    provides no technical support for this software and it is not generally
    recommended for end users. ]]
    Speech Recognition with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/moskowitz_02september23.mspx

    Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP System Requirements
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Plus/windowsxp/sys_req.asp

    Microsoft Product Information Center: Microsoft® Plus! SuperPack for
    Windows® XP : Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=659ebd22-8eee-4566-b65f-7c135f27efef&type=ovr

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:F241D009-1E77-48F7-9986-7C8C3C73F791@microsoft.com,
    woodcarver <woodcarver@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I need help getting my microphone to work. I made sure volume and
    > mute were OK. I don't have a speech recognition tab in the control
    > panel/speech section. I went to Microsoft and tried what they said
    > on how to install from Word 2000, but I only have Office 97. I tried
    > to install using Control panel/ add remove programs but it says to go
    > to Windows XP and hit change. I don't have a program called windows
    > xp in the populated list. I only have windows xp hotfixes listed.
    > Can you help? I want to get the microphone working.

Configuration Speech Recognition Microsoft Windows XP