Please help me install speech recognition

I need help getting my microphone to work. I made sure volume and mute were
OK. I don't have a speech recognition tab in the control panel/speech
section. I went to Microsoft and tried what they said on how to install from
Word 2000, but I only have Office 97. I tried to install using Control
panel/ add remove programs but it says to go to Windows XP and hit change. I
don't have a program called windows xp in the populated list. I only have
windows xp hotfixes listed. Can you help? I want to get the microphone
working.

Office 97 does not have a speech recognition engine. And XP doesn't come
with one either.

[[There is no Speech Recognition Engine (SRE) built directly in to Windows
XP. You need to install a compatible engine, and in most cases, you'll
install it from one of two sources.

1. The Microsoft SRE for Windows XP is available in Office XP applications,
such as Microsoft Word 2002, or Microsoft Excel 2002.

2. If you do not have one of these programs, then a less expensive option
for installing the SRE is to purchase the Windows XP PLUS! Pack. This is
available for less than $30 from Microsoft and other online vendors.

3. A third option is available for advanced users. The SRE is provided for
free as part of the Microsoft Speech Software Development Kit 5.1. Microsoft
provides no technical support for this software and it is not generally
recommended for end users. ]]
Speech Recognition with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/moskowitz_02september23.mspx

Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Plus/windowsxp/sys_req.asp

Microsoft Product Information Center: Microsoft® Plus! SuperPack for
Windows® XP : Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=659ebd22-8eee-4566-b65f-7c135f27efef&type=ovr

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.