Sign in with
Your question

Cpu at 94 when gaming

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:43:26 PM

Hello, my cpu runs at 44-50 degrees c when im just doing random stuff on my computer, but when i start playing games off steam the cpu temperature jumps up to 90-94 degrees. When i play the game bioshock 2 it gets all choppy like the res is off but I'm almost positive that it is not. What do i need to do to fix these problems.

Desktop Specs:
Intel Core I5 760 @ 2.80 Ghz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Gigabyte technology Co Ltd
Screen 23.5 1920 1080 res
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

More about : cpu gaming

a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 7:51:00 PM

Hi :) 

First ..if it hits 94 ...TURN IT OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Then sort out the cpu cooling... BEFORE you burn out the cpu or shorten its life DRASTICALLY...

Re-cement the cooler...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:02:16 PM

Well the cpu has hit it already and i just stop playing games and then it just goes down to 44, it only happens when gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:05:19 PM

How dusty is the inside of you PC Case, Fans and Heat Sink Fan ? I mean when was the last time you opened to clean the PC ?

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:07:14 PM

Are you using the stock cooler? What's the airflow in your case like?

Clear out the dust.
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:09:38 PM

i cleaned it two days ago and try to clean it every two months, the heat sink seems to be fine, and its not that dusty
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:13:03 PM

Are you using the stock cooler? What's the airflow in your case like? (how many fans)
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:13:41 PM

Is the CPU locked into place firmly? Not loose or anything? Lastly how much thermal paste did you put? Too much is bad and too little is bad :lol: 
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:23:51 PM

there is about two in the case one on the cpu, one on the video card, and one in the power supply. I do not know what the stock cooler, and i didnt not put too much thermal past.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:24:51 PM

chinlesskid said:
there is about two in the case one on the cpu, one on the video card, and one in the power supply. I do not know what the stock cooler, and i didnt not put too much thermal past.

Can you take a picture of the heatsink? Perhaps something bent or could be loose. I heard some Intel heatsinks lose their capacity to draw away heat when something plastic on it kind of melts or something.

Edit: Will try to find the thread that stated that, give me a moment.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:45:48 PM

Yea that is a stock cooler. Do you have the cpu overclocked at all?

Also, something you could do is clean the old thermal and apply new thermal and see if it helps. Remember a grain of rice size not too much.

This gentlemen shows how to do it properly and the best way displayed I've seen yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

Furthermore based on intels thermal range for your cpu it shouldn't be going beyond 72 C
http://ark.intel.com/products/48496/Intel-Core-i5-760-P...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 8:49:13 PM

Oh yes, check the voltage of the CPU, if somehow it got tinkered with and is real high then those temperatures are the result of that.
m
l
November 18, 2012 4:11:28 PM

Could this problem also make my computer run slow?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 4:30:47 PM

Yes higher voltage causes higher temperatures which in result the processor downclocks itself to lower the temperature. By downclocking it kind of gets slower when you do gaming and other stuff.
m
l
November 18, 2012 4:45:00 PM

well its slowing it down i guess, i going to buy a new heat sink and resink it and everything hopefully that works, i will update you guys when i do that, thanks for the help.
m
l
!