Sign in with
Your question

Current build, what are my upgrade options?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 11:46:40 AM

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E (LGA1156)
Graphics
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives
977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Now im having issues with a lot of games , not that i cant play them but i cant play them properly while recording...
so ive been thinking about maybe some upgrades... problem i onley have a budget of about 400€, may increase if needed...

More about : current build upgrade options

a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:16:05 PM

it"s the video card. I used a 5850 for a while. didn't have enough vram. a 6950 2gig took care of that problem. you can get a good one for $200 if you look. you're gaming at a lower res than me. no need for a bigger card.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:19:16 PM

Quote:
i know but he will eventually upgrade his monitor right?

I'm playing at 1920x1200.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:25:38 PM

I know that 1gig wasn't enough. and I know 1gig wasn't enough when I was playing at 1680x1050. If the video card can't store the textures in the frame buffer you're going to suffer with slow ups as the textures swap to your HD.......... can you say spit and sputter and lagggggg ?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2012 12:27:42 PM

"but i cant play them properly while recording."

This is CPU or HDD, not video card. You have a pretty strong CPU.
Windows built-in performance monitor "resource monitor" - google it- will give you disk service times and queue lengths. Run resource monitor in the background, wait until you are hitting frame rate problems then look at CPU utilization and Disk Drive specs.

Any chance you are just running out of disk drive performance while recording? Post your disk queues and service times from resource monitor.

If CPU looks pegged suggest you try a mild overclock to see if it's the CPU running out of juice. A minor BLCK change from 133 to say +10% should show if your recording does better with more CPU. http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core... Sometimes games peg CPU even when they are doing nothing by coding a loop waiting for things to happen.

What tool are you using to record video? What options does the tool have for quality of created video output? What monitoing does the tool have to see why things are slow? What do other users on an i-750 say about recording with the tool ?
July 7, 2012 12:35:50 PM

currenly have a 500W power supply, and whas thinking of eventually upgrading my monitor. the idea chromonoid gave me seems like a good one, found that gtx 670 for 380€ in a store nearby so thats withing price range
!