toolbar - can't resize

I have 6 custom toolbars to the left of my screen. Until recently, I was
able to drag the line at the boundary between two toolbars to resize each
toolbar. Now when I try, although my cursor changes to a double arrow, the
toolbars won't resize. I am able to move the set of toolbars to different
locations on the screen, I am even allowed to change the width of the set of
toolbars. Always on top and Auto-hide work properly.

Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?

Thanks,
Dave B

I forgot to add that I have checked that toolbars aren't locked in both
Windows and IE 6.

"Dave B" wrote:

> I have 6 custom toolbars to the left of my screen. Until recently, I was
> able to drag the line at the boundary between two toolbars to resize each
> toolbar. Now when I try, although my cursor changes to a double arrow, the
> toolbars won't resize. I am able to move the set of toolbars to different
> locations on the screen, I am even allowed to change the width of the set of
> toolbars. Always on top and Auto-hide work properly.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave B

Sorry, I also forgot to mention that my taskbar is also locked regardless of
the "lock taskbar" setting. It's as if de-selecting "lock taskbar" has no
effect. For example, I am unable to change the number of icons shown in the
quick launch area.

"Dave B" wrote:

> I have 6 custom toolbars to the left of my screen. Until recently, I was
> able to drag the line at the boundary between two toolbars to resize each
> toolbar. Now when I try, although my cursor changes to a double arrow, the
> toolbars won't resize. I am able to move the set of toolbars to different
> locations on the screen, I am even allowed to change the width of the set of
> toolbars. Always on top and Auto-hide work properly.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave B

XP Home or Pro?

Keith

"Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04796535-1367-4CA9-9A46-A9951E4FBFB3@microsoft.com...
> Sorry, I also forgot to mention that my taskbar is also locked regardless of
> the "lock taskbar" setting. It's as if de-selecting "lock taskbar" has no
> effect. For example, I am unable to change the number of icons shown in the
> quick launch area.
>
> "Dave B" wrote:
>
> > I have 6 custom toolbars to the left of my screen. Until recently, I was
> > able to drag the line at the boundary between two toolbars to resize each
> > toolbar. Now when I try, although my cursor changes to a double arrow, the
> > toolbars won't resize. I am able to move the set of toolbars to different
> > locations on the screen, I am even allowed to change the width of the set of
> > toolbars. Always on top and Auto-hide work properly.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave B

XP Pro with Service Pack 1

"Keith Miller" wrote:

> XP Home or Pro?
>
> Keith
>
> "Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04796535-1367-4CA9-9A46-A9951E4FBFB3@microsoft.com...
> > Sorry, I also forgot to mention that my taskbar is also locked regardless of
> > the "lock taskbar" setting. It's as if de-selecting "lock taskbar" has no
> > effect. For example, I am unable to change the number of icons shown in the
> > quick launch area.
> >
> > "Dave B" wrote:
> >
> > > I have 6 custom toolbars to the left of my screen. Until recently, I was
> > > able to drag the line at the boundary between two toolbars to resize each
> > > toolbar. Now when I try, although my cursor changes to a double arrow, the
> > > toolbars won't resize. I am able to move the set of toolbars to different
> > > locations on the screen, I am even allowed to change the width of the set of
> > > toolbars. Always on top and Auto-hide work properly.
> > >
> > > Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave B

Check Group Policy:
User Config -> Admin Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar -> Lock the taskbar
Try explicitly disabling it, as the policy settings made by other programs are not know to the Group Policy Mgmt Console.

If that doesn't do the trick, please clarify a few things:

1) Does the 'Lock the taskbar' setting allow you to check & uncheck it? Or is it grayed out? If you're allowed to clear the check, do the dotted resize grippers appear?

2) If you create another toolbar on a different edge of the screen, does it exhibit the same behavior?

It'd be interesting to find out exactly what's causing this, but if you don't have time for that and don't mind recreating your toolbar, you could try going here:
Line 164, left-hand column

Keith

"Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD5C4DDC-D6CB-411E-91A1-B3C9360B6772@microsoft.com...
> XP Pro with Service Pack 1
>
> "Keith Miller" wrote:
>
> > XP Home or Pro?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04796535-1367-4CA9-9A46-A9951E4FBFB3@microsoft.com...
> > > Sorry, I also forgot to mention that my taskbar is also locked regardless of
> > > the "lock taskbar" setting. It's as if de-selecting "lock taskbar" has no
> > > effect. For example, I am unable to change the number of icons shown in the
> > > quick launch area.

Whoops!

More Likely:

User Config -> Admin Templates -> Desktop -> Prevent adding, dragging, dropping & closing Taskbar
User Config -> Admin Templates -> Desktop -> Prohibit adjusting desktop toolbars

Disable both of these

Keith

"Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD5C4DDC-D6CB-411E-91A1-B3C9360B6772@microsoft.com...
> XP Pro with Service Pack 1
>
> "Keith Miller" wrote:
>
> > XP Home or Pro?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04796535-1367-4CA9-9A46-A9951E4FBFB3@microsoft.com...
> > > Sorry, I also forgot to mention that my taskbar is also locked regardless of
> > > the "lock taskbar" setting. It's as if de-selecting "lock taskbar" has no
> > > effect. For example, I am unable to change the number of icons shown in the
> > > quick launch area.

Success! I used http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm "fixall". And
the Group policy trick is very nice to know.

Thanks so much,
Dave B