Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility and Questions

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2012 10:08:12 PM

Hello anyone that will help, I'm building a gaming desktop which will be made within 2012. This is the build I plan to use and ask for compatibility. This is my first post on this website so please have a bit of patience with me here :) 

Uses: Gaming (not enthusiast), and internet use.

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120

Mobo: ASRock H61M-HVS mATX

GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6850

Case: Coolermaster HAF 912

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB

RAM: Corsair XMS 3 Dominator 8GB

PSU: Corsair Builder 500w

I was also wondering, should I get Asus P8H61-I instead of the ASrockH61M? I keep reading that you need a full ATX board for gaming. I can get the P8H61-I, I just wanted to save a few dollars :)  I can live with not having as much PCI slots, because when I upgrade I'll probably change lots of things. I just care mostly about performance. So yes, is this compatible? Thank you.
July 6, 2012 10:27:52 PM

Those parts look fine compatibility wise to me.
July 7, 2012 2:09:37 AM

jwk3 said:
Those parts look fine compatibility wise to me.

Oh good! How about the mobo? Should i get atx instead of matx?
Related resources
July 7, 2012 11:28:46 AM

Well it depends on your priorities. you might as well get an MATX board if you know you won't be upgrading the PC much in it's life. If you know there is a possibility that you will be adding in extra components then I'd advise you look at a standard ATX size. Things to think about are: is there a possibility you will add;

extra hard drives
extra optical drive
sound card
TV tuner card
usb/firewire card (USB3 in the future?)
sata/raid card (for if you might run out of sata connections on the motherboard)

with the asrock motherboard you will be very limited as to what you can add for PCI/expansion card slots, but if you know you won't be adding any cards then it should do OK. what other motherboards are there in the price range? is there an MATX board with 4 usable slots? (as in having 4 actual slots on the mobo rather than the 2 on the asrock)
July 7, 2012 11:51:36 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
July 7, 2012 11:55:07 AM

For the few dollars difference in price I'd go for the full size ATX board simply because it will have a more generous port selection, and be easier to work with.
!