Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

AMD Phenom II stock cooler on FM2 board?

Last response: in Components
Share
November 16, 2012 8:58:11 PM

Yes but make sure it can handle 100W-125W CPUs as most FM2 APUs are rated for 100-125W.
November 16, 2012 10:37:08 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Yes but make sure it can handle 100W-125W CPUs as most FM2 APUs are rated for 100-125W.

Thanks for the quick reply. How can I tell if the Cooler is of sufficient size? It is large has 4 heat pipes, the stock FM2 cooler is tiny and has no heat pipes.
Related resources
November 16, 2012 10:39:06 PM

What Phenom ii was it used for?

Well the Pii heatsink might be better as it has the heatpipes...
November 16, 2012 11:25:46 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
What Phenom ii was it used for?

Well the Pii heatsink might be better as it has the heatpipes...

I don't know. Bought it used. Well, it was new/unused but 2nd hand. I thought all the Phenom II X4's used the same cooler.

Best solution

November 16, 2012 11:29:05 PM
Share

The 125W (black editions) should come with better coolers than original phenom ii CPUs, still i think the PII heatsink would cool down the APU more.

Heatpipes usually mean more cooling, the same goes to the amount of metal there is, more metal more cooling.

November 17, 2012 2:45:31 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
The 125W (black editions) should come with better coolers than original phenom ii CPUs, still i think the PII heatsink would cool down the APU more.

Heatpipes usually mean more cooling, the same goes to the amount of metal there is, more metal more cooling.

OK, then I'm good with using the PHII X4 cooler on the FM@ board. I just didn't want to disturb the existing cooler and TIM if this wasn't going to fit the FM2 retention bracket. But if you say the brackets are the same, then I will go for it. Thanks.
November 24, 2012 3:44:05 PM

Best answer selected by 1405.
!