AMD Phenom II stock cooler on FM2 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The 125W (black editions) should come with better coolers than original phenom ii CPUs, still i think the PII heatsink would cool down the APU more.

Heatpipes usually mean more cooling, the same goes to the amount of metal there is, more metal more cooling.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply. How can I tell if the Cooler is of sufficient size? It is large has 4 heat pipes, the stock FM2 cooler is tiny and has no heat pipes.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

I don't know. Bought it used. Well, it was new/unused but 2nd hand. I thought all the Phenom II X4's used the same cooler.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The 125W (black editions) should come with better coolers than original phenom ii CPUs, still i think the PII heatsink would cool down the APU more.

Heatpipes usually mean more cooling, the same goes to the amount of metal there is, more metal more cooling.

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

OK, then I'm good with using the PHII X4 cooler on the FM@ board. I just didn't want to disturb the existing cooler and TIM if this wasn't going to fit the FM2 retention bracket. But if you say the brackets are the same, then I will go for it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.