First self-build

ryuky

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hey guys!
I'm planning to build a new computer for gaming/music recording and whaterver else.

Theese are the components i'm quite sure about:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB CL9 (low profile or not? i'm a little worried about the cpu cooler)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU 650HXEU (80 plus bronze, modular)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 Vapor-X (read tons of great reviews)
Storage: HDD WD Caviar Blue 500GB

I have 2 problems as you can see: mobo and case.

I'd prefer going with an ATX mobo and i saw theese:
-Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
-MSI Z77A-G45
-ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Which one do you advice to me?

About the case: i was thinking to go for a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, but when i saw his big brother (Chaser MK-I) i fell in love!
But now i'm in love with another case: Bitfenix Shinobi Window XL.
It's simply perfect: a lot of space, great cable management, 4 usb ports in the front (they both have usb 3.0 and 2.0 header, so mobo headers aren't a problem).
I'm not really shure about the frontal intake fan: how can it intakes air if there is a solid steel panel in front of it? There are no holes!!

Thank you for your attention!

DeusAres

Distinguished
Looks good, but why wouldn't you throw in an extra $20 for the i5 3570k?

Also, you'll want to get the low profile RAM. The Hyper 212 evo is fairly problematic with RAM with tall heat spreaders.

Seagate HDD...
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341879747&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+1tb

The ASRock Mobo would be an excellent choice. The other boards are great choices too, I just prefer the Asrock boards.

I'd also recommend you get a better video card if you can fit it in the budget. Perhaps the hd 6870, 6950, or the 7870?

I don't know your budget, so I'm trying to give as many options as possible.

ryuky

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
thank you!

i just don't think that 3570k worths those 20 more dollars.

in the overclockers forum someone said me to go with vengeance lp, g.skil ripjaws x or ares. what do you tihink about these?

why a seagate and not a wd? personal preference?

i'll check out some prices for the gpu :)

DeusAres

Distinguished

As mentioned above, the seagate is faster, but it is also cheaper to buy a seagate drive; plus you get more storage for the price with seagate drives. And yes, the g.skill ripjaws x series would be a great choice too.
http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-1600MHz-PC3-12800-F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL/dp/B004HZG4ZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341941121&sr=8-1&keywords=gskill+ripjaws+x+8gb

And if you do get the z77 board now, that'll allow you to upgrade to an ivy in the future if you so desire to. :)

ryuky

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
so, here's the news:

cpu: 2500k (nothing changed)
cpu cooler: hyper 212 evo found!
mobo: i'll go for the gigabyte. the asrock one is too expansive for me
ram: vengenace low profile
psu: corsair tx550m
hdd: seagate barracuda 500gb (a little cheaper than caviar blue)

the only question is about the vga:
7770 vapor x €159
sapphire 6870 (900mhz, only one fan as you can see in the link) €180
sapphire 6870 oc (it's not really for the 20 more mhz, but for the dual fan cooler) €197

which one should i buy? does the second fan worth those €17?

DeusAres

Distinguished

Everything looks good to me. If you plan to overclock the GPU yourself, then yes, the one with the extra fan would be ideal. However, if you plan to pop in the GPU and not touch any settings, then just go with the cheaper one. The two fan setup also offers a better cooling solution, obviously.