Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Memory
  • Dell
  • Dimension
Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:14:46 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that has a processor speed of 2.92GHz and 512 MB of Memory. I would like to add additional memory to speed it up but I am not sure how much I can or should add. I want to keep this as simple as possible without making any other modifications or upgrades if at all possible. Do I need to remove the existing memory or just add additional memory?

PapaFerg

More about : upgradinga dell dimension 4700

a c 109 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 10:58:02 PM

It supports a maximum of 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM and it has 4 slots.

It supports 1GB per RAM slot.

So you can put in 4 1GB sticks and take out the 512MB stick and keep it as a spare.

You open your side panel and you push down the clips on the sides of the RAM to take them out of the board and push them in until you hear two clicks to install them.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 11:00:32 PM

The minimum required memory for your computer is 128 MB, the OS reserves that much as well. So you are using very little memory for other applications..

For information on how to install memory here is a Dell Documentation about your computer from Dell: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/s...

I had to press down hard when I put in new memory for my computer I was surprised.. I tried not to use too much force as to not break it xO.

Here is specifications for Dell 4700 original:http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/s...

You need DDR2 ram. Specifically these kinds of ram: 400-MHz (PC2-3200) and 533-MHz (PC2-4300) DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM non-ECC. With 128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB non-ECC capacities.

Considering that you have very low memory, I think it might be best if you removed the memory and added at least 2gb of new PC2-3200 DDr2 unbuffered SDRAM non-ECC memory, in my opinion. It would speed things up a lot.

I would suggest the faster PC2-4300, but I can't find any ram for sale in PC2-4300 on newegg. Only Pc2-4200. I'm guessing it's a proprietary ram module..? Not sure if 4300 is comparable with 4200. Might as well go with Pc2-3200. Its as expensive (sometimes more) to buy old ram as it is to buy new ram. Even though it's not nearly as fast.

Keep the old memory if it is still working, it's always good to have backup memory in when installing new memory in case the memory is bad.. Memtest your memory after using it (search Google for memtest 86 or 86+ not sure which is better)

If that information doesn't help you to find out if you need to replace or add additional ram, you have to tell us what ram you have. The bios can tell you what speed it is, and now many ram modules are being used... Otherwise you will have to look inside to see who made the ram and what it says on the side of the DIMMs..

btw I searched: dell dimension 4700 motherboard specs on Google to found the information.

I upgraded the ram on the computer I am using right now myself, it needed DDR2 as well lol

Ah I spent too long search about memtest I got ninjad-edit
!