CPU retail or OEM

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I'm looking into getting an Athlon 64 FX 55, but have noticed OEM version can be significantly cheaper. Is it worth getting OEM? Is so, can someone recommend a good heatsink/fan for it? I was also thinking of buying a Maxtor Harddrive, but have noticed people have are not recommending it. Anyone have any ideas on a good hard drive, and should I get one that supports raid 1 or whatever (if you can explain this to me too, please do so).

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
If you are new to building then it might be worth it to get the retail because the AMD will warrenty the chip. If you are confident about building then get the OEM to save money. I always get an OEM and buy a heat sink. I would junk the stock heat sink (when buying retail) anyway and get a better hit sink. I would buy Segate HDD's because they offer a 5 year warrenty and they are usually quieter. HDD brand makes not difference when it comes to RAID as long as you have some kind of RAID controller. Either your motherboard has to have a RAID controller, or you have a PCI RAID controller.

endyen

Splendid
With retail, you are paying for a 3 yr warranty, and a good quality fan. It's usually hard to find that good a fan for the price. If you are a serious OCer, forget the stock fan, and the warranty.
I have had problems with maxtor drives, but none with seagate. Western digital is mostly good.

Agree with Endyen on the heatsink and fan. If you're not OCing, then the stock fan is good. More info on RAID can be found in the great <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=9" target="_new">RAID dearest comrade v1.3</A> in the HDD forum. Read that then post questions in the HDD forum.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
RAID dearest comrade?? :wink:

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

LOL - was wondering if anyone would catch that one! :wink:

G

So who is the resident RAID dearest comrade anyways? :tongue:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It was very obvious, there's no similarity between capital "G" and capital "Q" (unlike "g" and "q")

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've always had very good experience with Maxtor HDDs, so I can't recommend against getting Maxtor.

------------

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
We build a lot of pcs where I work, and we've just started using WD drives instead because we had quite a few Maxtors die (about 3 in a couple of months, out of maybe 15 or 20 PCs shipped out in that time).

That said, I have 3 Maxtors in my rig at home, and - touch wood - haven't had a problem with them yet. (although two of them have a dedicated 80mm Fan to keep them cool, so I have done my best to minimise risk there...)

---
Winnie 3200+ @ ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41V
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Asus 6800GT 128Mb

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
As long as you dont touch my wood!

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

Baby, now you're showing disdain?! It wasn't like taht when I had you over the couch! LOL

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Well I guess Wusy will be along anytime now.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

G

wusy may be here now, but I knew you'd post that comment first :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>