Sign in with
Your question

Budget HTPC Build - Updated parts/thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 2:28:37 PM

OK, looking for some advice on a home built HTPC build. Here are the vitals:

Approximate Purchase Date: next 30 days

Budget Range: +/-$500 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: streaming internet video/TV, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter, Newegg, etc

Parts Preferences: would prefer to use AMD processor, no mobo preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: not sure - will ultimately replace existing 32" TV with a new approx 47" HDTV

Additional Comments: recently moved and eschewed cable TV, but have a very respectable high speed internet connection and would like to be able to do more than our Roku media player can do - for me personally, want to be able to stream live video from the internet, link it to my denon stereo reciever, have the option to do some light gaming in the future. Would also serve as a part time PC station for our 12 year old daughter, but stress the part-time. Don't need a high powered system, just decent build with a little flexibility. Not sure how much I'm concerned about future upgrade, but if I have the option that's good.

There was a post way back in 2009 under the Recommended Builds by Usage thread, but not sure how outdated the components are:

HTPC: $787.91 Updated MOBO & DVD (Thanks for the feedback... Psycho Sykes and obsidian86)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52300
MOBO: ASRock H67M (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL
HSF: Not required
GPU: Not required
HDD (OS): SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HDD (Storage): SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ***
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
DVD: SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L/RSBP LightScribe Support (Retail)
Case: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Thermal Compound: Not Required
Accessories: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 (updated version of 1800) MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface
This build will allow you to play music and movies on a 1080 HD TV and light 720P->1080P gaming & DX11 compatabilty...
*** = Option Item: Can be removed to cut cost, if needed, and still maintain an acceptable HTPC performance

If anyone has suggestions on what I might want to update from that 2009 build AND lower my cost, taking into account my preferences, I'd be appreciative.

July 7, 2012 3:32:30 PM

You dont need an i5 for the uses u have stated.

An i3 will be good enough and will save u money.
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:34:34 PM

I didn't say I was using an I5.

Due to the slow nature of responses, here's what I threw something together at MicroCenter:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P AM3+
(Got a bundle price of $99 on the CPU/Mobo combo)
RAM: MicroCenter 4GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory $35
HSF: included w/CPU
HDD (OS): Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 64MB cache internal drive $120
PSU: included in case
DVD: LG CD/DVD writer $17
Case: InWin BK623 Mini ATX $75
Video Card: ASUS HD 5450 Silent 1GB DDR3 $45
Wireless Adapter: ASUS USB Wireless Adapter $25

Let me say there wasn't a lot of maneuverability in the case so cable management was not all that great. And now that I have it up and running, it is a pretty nice set up but does get pretty warm in the cabinet I have it sitting in. Considering picking up a different case with more airflow, as I really don't want to have to put a bunch of holes in the cabinet. I would rather have it sitting out in the open somewhere near the TV, but the wife isn't too fond. What do most people do with the case for placement/storage?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2012 3:37:39 PM

best I can suggest is maximize the fans, then put it someplace unobtrusive
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2012 3:25:33 AM

I have an open AV rack for my AVR, HTPC, etc and some peeps even DIY their racks if they handy with wood work and have tools, etc ^^ This makes a fixed foot print/space merely expand vertically so you could place hardware on different levels and won't clutter that living room?
m
l
!