LAN vs Wifi internet connection problem

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Here’s the problem. I have a network with cabled and wifi connections to the router. The wifi connections connect the network and the internet no problem. The cabled connections connect the network ok, but cannot connect to the internet.

The wifi connections use DHCP in the range 192.168.1.100-149. The LAN connects are using fixed IPs assigned at the NIC in the range 192.168.1.10-52. The router is 192.168.1.1 and cabled to 2 access points (DHCP disabled) 192.168.1.2 and 3. At each NIC the fixed IP setting is 192.168.1.10-54, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Now the LAN cabled connections are cabled to either the gateway or one of the access points. I had originally set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 but have tried .2 and .3 (the access points trying to get the internet connection going). If I look at the network connection it does say there is Internet Access but all my browsing attempts comeback with an error 400 Bad Request.

BTW, the cabled connections are servers which do not need to be internet connected except to update virus definitions, or other OS updates. I have experimented with a wifi dongle on each when I need it to connect the internet and that seems ok but I would like, instead, to be able to go to the router and just set the internet accessibility times for those machines

Additional info. the LAN cabled PCs are WinXP Pro and Windows Server 2008

Yes, you need to disable it on the second set of connections past the Router. As a test to make sure your TCP settings are correct, set them to DHCP, see if you will get an address from the Router or if even that is blocked. If you get an address and it works that way, you have the settings there to look at.

wunof11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I couldn't get much more looking into the NAT, but after some more investigation the problem was with missing DNS servers. Although the browser could not pull up webpages I could ping the web servers IP addresses no problem. I captured the ISPs DNS server IPs into the static IP set ups and got my connection.