CPU Temperature Target being ignored

Xeno Aura

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hi,

I have an ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX motherboard, and I set target temperature for my AMD Phenom II X4 965 to 55C.

But it seems to completely disregard that... the CPU fan always goes on full power (around 6000RPM it goes up to) as soon as it hits 47C, and it'll stay at that until it goes down to 42C, then it turns back down to 3500RPM (the default speed I set, so that setting works).

I also set the same settings in ASRock OC Tuner. But again, it gets overrided.

Is there another program that could be causing this to happen?

The CPU seems to be making more noise since I installed a Radeon HD7850. For the first time ever, I heard the fan whistling/whining when I played a game. When I checked the RPM, it was up to 6800. I've adjusted a few settings, and it generally never goes above 6000RPM and 48C now, but I'd rather let it go a few C higher and not make my ears bleed.

CPU was quiet when I had a Radeon HD5450 installed. rFactor for example, could run at almost max settings, didn't hear a peep. Installed my 7850, after about 15 minutes of running at max settings, the CPU fan starts to wind up a little. I don't think turning on anisotropic filtering (the only setting I had off) would have made that much of an impact on the CPU, would it?

Another thing worth noting.... When I run Prime95... it seems the temp target is indeed 55C, as it goes up to 58C, the fan kicks in and it stabilizes around 53-55C, but in Planetside 2 and Entropia Universe, the fan reacts as I described before. Going to almost full power at 47C.

The BIOS supports CPU Temperature Targets between 45-65C.

Idling temp is around 29-33C

PC Specifications:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX Motherboard
8GB 1333MHZ RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4GHz (Notorious for their loud fans I know)
AMD Radeon HD7850, MSI Twin Frozr
500W CoolerMaster GX-Lite PSU

If nothing can be done, is anyone able to recommend a cheap, but better cooler for the CPU?

Thank You.