GTX 460 Super Overclock Series SLI question

I have the Gigabyte GTX 460 Super Overclock Series card: GV-N460SO-1GI, and it looks like it is discontinued now. I was wanting to buy a second card for SLI now that I can afford it, but not sure what to do as far as getting a second card? Can anyone give me any tips or recommendations as far as what card would work best with it?
12 answers Last reply
More about super overclock series question
  1. You can use any GTX 460 1GB card to pair up in SLI. I recommend you seek out a card that has a similar factory overclock to the one you already have (815 mhz). When you pair to dissimilar cards in SLI, both cards run at the lowest clock speed of the two. So you would lose the "superoverclock", but you could overclock them yourself back up to those speeds.
  2. Quote:
    You can use any GTX 460 1GB card to pair up in SLI. I recommend you seek out a card that has a similar factory overclock to the one you already have (815 mhz). When you pair to dissimilar cards in SLI, both cards run at the lowest clock speed of the two. So you would lose the "superoverclock", but you could overclock them yourself back up to those speeds.


    Thanks, thats what I was thinking but wasnt 100% sure, thanks for the answer!
  3. Actually, a few of the GTX 460's I saw on Newegg have higher factory overclocks than 815 mhz, so you should be good to go.
  4. Just make sure you get one that has the same memory bus, a lot of the ones on Newegg have 192bit buses now, if yours is an original 460 it will have a 256bit bus.
  5. Interesting.... that kinda limits my choices even more... starting to wonder if I should just buy a bigger card. Not sure I am going to find a good match for my current card. But thanks for the info... saving me alot of future grief :)
  6. they have 1 refurbed EVGA card for $119, and a 2gb new one that just isn't worth the asking price.
  7. So what if I bought this card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125390 and SLI'd with my GTX 460, seems everything about them is similar?
  8. normhl said:
    So what if I bought this card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125390 and SLI'd with my GTX 460, seems everything about them is similar?

    That's a 560. It won't work in SLI with your 460.
  9. Ok, so it has to be the same series then? 400 series with 400, 500 series with 500... etc?
  10. Yes, they have to match the GPU exactly. Manufacturer doesn't matter.
  11. 17seconds said:
    Yes, they have to match the GPU exactly. Manufacturer doesn't matter.


    And both can have different clock speeds as well. For example my PNY is overclocked and my Gigabyte isn't, if ran separately that is. Together I'm just running them stock.
  12. Ah, that was the question I had, I have a mildly overclocked PNY GTX 460 OC 1GB model and it would open up a lot more possibilities if I could find one either clocked lower of higher, as long as one slows down to the other, I'm good. I just can't see any GTX under $500 that is compelling enough to go to as a single-card solution, so maybe I'll go GTX 460 1 GB in SLI for a while.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking Gtx SLI Graphics Product