GTX 460 Super Overclock Series SLI question

normhl

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I have the Gigabyte GTX 460 Super Overclock Series card: GV-N460SO-1GI, and it looks like it is discontinued now. I was wanting to buy a second card for SLI now that I can afford it, but not sure what to do as far as getting a second card? Can anyone give me any tips or recommendations as far as what card would work best with it?

You can use any GTX 460 1GB card to pair up in SLI. I recommend you seek out a card that has a similar factory overclock to the one you already have (815 mhz). When you pair to dissimilar cards in SLI, both cards run at the lowest clock speed of the two. So you would lose the "superoverclock", but you could overclock them yourself back up to those speeds.

normhl

Honorable
May 14, 2012
You can use any GTX 460 1GB card to pair up in SLI. I recommend you seek out a card that has a similar factory overclock to the one you already have (815 mhz). When you pair to dissimilar cards in SLI, both cards run at the lowest clock speed of the two. So you would lose the "superoverclock", but you could overclock them yourself back up to those speeds.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but wasnt 100% sure, thanks for the answer!

normhl

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Interesting.... that kinda limits my choices even more... starting to wonder if I should just buy a bigger card. Not sure I am going to find a good match for my current card. But thanks for the info... saving me alot of future grief :)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

And both can have different clock speeds as well. For example my PNY is overclocked and my Gigabyte isn't, if ran separately that is. Together I'm just running them stock.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Ah, that was the question I had, I have a mildly overclocked PNY GTX 460 OC 1GB model and it would open up a lot more possibilities if I could find one either clocked lower of higher, as long as one slows down to the other, I'm good. I just can't see any GTX under $500 that is compelling enough to go to as a single-card solution, so maybe I'll go GTX 460 1 GB in SLI for a while.