why do film SLRs cost more than DSLRs?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 10, 2005 1:03:56 PM

Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700

Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?

[PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

More about : film slrs cost dslrs

August 10, 2005 1:53:57 PM

The 1V is a very well built pro camera, while the digital rebel is
consumer grade. The 1v is weatherproof and much more substantial.

Now, compare the 1V to the 1Ds and the dSLR is _way_ more expensive.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:44:03 PM

Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four
people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
KIA!
August 10, 2005 3:54:22 PM

>Mr. Happy wrote ...
>
>Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR
>Camera, Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel
>SLR Camera w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

The Rebel film body costs about $200 with a kit lens so there's a 400%
markup to the price of the digital Rebel, which is built on the same
basic body.

The Elan 7N/E body is around $300 - 340 and the digital built on it is
the 20D, around $1,400 so again a hefty markup, around 400%.

The 1V HS body is about $2,000 and is used for the 1D Mark II (~
$4,000) and the 1Ds Mark II ($8,000) so again there's a roughly 200 -
400% markup, depending on the cost of the sensor.

>PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200

The film Rebel K2 kit with 28-90 mm lens is $199.95 at B&H. So what's
your point?

Bill
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:02:00 PM

On 10 Aug 2005 09:03:56 -0700, "Mr.Happy" <bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
>Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
>w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
>Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
>PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
>
>Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
>
>[PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

May I suggest you first compare apples to apples.

The digital equivalent to the 1V is the 1DsMkII. It cost just for the
body about 7,000 dollars.

The film equivalent to the Digital Rebel is the Rebel K2. Those K2
bodies are about 142 dollars.

Learn the technology....

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:03:06 PM

Mr.Happy wrote:

> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
> Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
> w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
> Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
> PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
>
> Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
>
> [PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

You're comparing apples and oranges :-)

The Rebel is a type 2 body. If you want to compare
film and digital:

A digital Rebel goes for $799.00
A film Rebel with kit lens goes for $189.00

If you want to compare top of the line pro
cameras with type 1 bodies, then:

An EOS-1V goes for $1899
An EOS 1Ds MKII goes for $7995

The pro cameras do a lot more. Better autofocus,
faster burst speed, better construction, water resistant,
longer shutter life, higher shutter speeds, faster flash sync..
etc etc.).
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:04:36 PM

Jim Townsend wrote:
> The pro cameras do a lot more. Better autofocus,
> faster burst speed, better construction, water resistant,
> longer shutter life, higher shutter speeds, faster flash sync..
> etc etc.).

I appreciate the need for faster burst speed and more photos on a burst
shoot after a recent outdoor location shoot. I found the 9 shots burst mode
of my Canon 10D digital routinely filling up and slowing down my creative
photography (see 'Busy' lots as camera memory was writing to CF card).
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:38:45 PM

Film SLRs do not, in general, cost more than DSLRs. In general,
DSLRs cost a LOT more than film SLRs.

"Mr.Happy" <bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com> writes:

> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
> Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
> w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
> Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
> PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
>
> Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?

Those cameras aren't at all comparable. Instead, compare for example
the Nikon D100 and the Nikon N80. These are the *same* body, but one
has the sensor and digital electronics package, and the other is set
up for film. The D100 body only costs about $1000; The N80 body only
costs about $275. (I use this particular example because I happen to
know which film and which digital body match in this case; I believe
you can find similar exact matches in Canon, but I don't know them off
the top of my head.)

The Canon EOS-1V is a pro-grade film body, and is priced accordingly.
Canon makes a range of film SLR bodies. The Elan 7N is priced at
$300, the EOS 3 at $875, the EOS-1V at $1650 -- and the EOS Rebel K2
at $135.

The Digital Rebel is a digital priced at $650. The EOS 20D is about
$1330. And the EOS-1DS Mark II is priced at $8000.

There's quite a range of prices and features in both film and digital
-- but digital is *much* more expensive than film for the camera body.
Of course, if you *use* it a lot, the savings in film and processing
costs will be substantial.
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt; Much of which is still down
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:53:05 PM

wrote:

>Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
>Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
>w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
>Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
>PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
>
>Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
>
>[PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

Guys, look at where these stupid questions are posted from: Google.
When the question is just stupid, check to see where it's from;
usually, Google. This is a great way to post anonymously.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

In answer to your title............. they don't.

> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
> Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
> w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

The EOS-1V is a Professionnal camera while the EOS-300D and EOS-350D are
aimed at keen amateurs and specific professionnals who do not need the extra
features on the more expensive cameras.

If you look at Canon's top of the line Digital camera (the EOS-1Ds) you will
see the price is far higher than the 1V (again for just the body).
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:58:10 PM

In article <1123689836.896291.53980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Mr.Happy says...
> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
> Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
> w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
> Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
> PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700

Could it be that the EOS 1V is a high end body, while the 300D (digital
rebel) is an entry-level DSLR ?
--

Alfred Molon
August 10, 2005 11:07:50 PM

"Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four

people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
KIA! "

because you get the babes with a Ferrari; while I am just trying to
take photos
of the babes who dont know the difference between a $200 35mm Minolta
and a $2000 Nikon DSLR(and dont care as long as their photo comes out
good).
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:00:13 AM

Bill Funk wrote:

> Guys, look at where these stupid questions are posted from: Google.
> When the question is just stupid, check to see where it's from;
> usually, Google. This is a great way to post anonymously.

That's true Bill.. Sadly the vast majority of nuisance posts in
rec.photo.digital come from Google.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:20:16 AM

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> Why do Ferrari's cost so much more than KIA's...the KIA can carry four
> people? The Ferrari only carries two! And I have to shift the
> transmission in the Ferrari and the steering is not as light as the
> KIA!

And I am sure that you will be quite happy with your Kia. ;-) Horses for
courses.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:21:40 AM

<<while I am just trying to take photos of the babes>>

I speculate that you are more interested in pulling out your telescopic
lens and using it.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:13:04 AM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> writes:
>> Mr. Happy wrote ...

>> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR
>> Camera, Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel
>> SLR Camera w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99

> The film Rebel K2 kit with 28-90 mm lens is $199.95 at B&H. So
> what's your point?

Trolling? (And a rather nice catch too, I would say.)
August 11, 2005 1:31:14 PM

Mr.Happy wrote:
> Could someone explain to me why the Canon EOS-1V - 35mm SLR Camera,
> Body Only costs $1899 while the Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera
> w/Canon 18-55mm AF Lens costs $799.99 - Rebate Final Cost 699.99 + Free
> Printer and Cokin Filter Holder.
> PowerShot Pro 1 Digital Camera - $700
>
> Do the 35mm SLRs still offer more features than DSLRs?
>
> [PS: the Minolta Maxxum 5 or 70 Date(28-100mm) is $200]

There IS some overlap, but there are also many film SLRs cheaper than
the cheapest digital SLR. Just like there is a range of prices for
digital SLRs, there is a range of film SLRs. Yes- more features, higher
quality, higher reliability demand higher price.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:22:21 PM

<<while I am just trying to take photos of the babes>>

I speculate that you are more interested in pulling out your telescopic

lens and using it.

--Oh yes, baby! and what a lens it is!
that's why they call me Mr.Happy !!!
!