Failing display driver on my nvidia asus 560

RudeE

Honorable
May 14, 2012
ive was receiving display drive errors on my pc with my point of view gtx 560. i had the latest driver installed. the company i bought my pc from thought it may have been a faulty graphics card so they sent me a replacement. the replacement was an asus gtx560. they sugested that i reinstalled windows 7 (64 bit). eventho the graphics card was not overclocked i decided to turn my case fans with smart fan control enabled with the piece of software that came with my asus gtx560 (smartdoctor). so ive reinstalled windows. installed the necessary drivers from my motherboard cd and installed smart doctor and nvidia driver from the cd which came with the asus. i then installed the latest nvdia driver from the website itself. After afew days i started receiving display driver error again, but this time it is not recovered and i have to manually turn my pc off by holding the power on/off button.

*has anyone had such an issue before? what sort of potential solutions are there? what could be causing the issue in the first place?*

specs:
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S963
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home
Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
Memory: 16.0GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance
Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU: 500W Xigmatek

thank you in advance for the help and advice.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I suspect your psu isnt supplying enough power to the card. I had a similar occurance with a friends computer. As his pc booted we got driver errors upon the start of windows. I knew the psu was borderline for running the card, so I put in a higher wattage unit and it worked fine. 500 watts should run a 560, but maybe yours is failing or just not out-putting enough amps on the +12volt rail

RudeE

Honorable
May 14, 2012
thanks for the reply. it seems that there is a psu problem. couple times today theres been some sort of electric surge which is turning my pc off and upon reboot i get the display driver error. ive looked over the net and there seems to be different psu w that people are suggesting is needed for a 560. any suggestions as to what sort of things i need to look for in a psu? unfortunately my psu choice is limited as i need to replace me exisiting one with the company i bought my pc from (dinopc). thanks.

RudeE

Honorable
May 14, 2012
just like to thank the tomshardware community for the help and advice, especially to the people that posted and helped me. my psu is on its way. i went for the tx650.

on an extra note, the company i bought my pc from and going to send me a free 560 replacement for my trouble and inconvinience. my bro has given me his 560ti.

They have asked me which make i would like for the 560. the choice is point of view, zotaz, asus or msi. which would you recommend? people have been giving me advise and its mainly down to the asus and msi.

may decide to sell the 560ti and use the 560 or sell the 560 and upgrade in the future; a new motherboard and having a 560ti sli.