May 14, 2012
Specs :

1zd3r7p.png
2duyrzp.png

Overheating specs :

First test

Second test

Third test

Im puzzled to why both are running so hot now. I have made no major changes to anything to directly cause this issue. I have thermal paste on my heat sync, and it is installed correctly.

After running for a while (3-4 hours) the display will completely cut out. If I try to run games such as portal or team fortress, it happens even quicker.

Help please! :)

Your GPU is fine, that is running exactly where it should be.

The CPU is running hot. When was the last time you changed the Thermal Compound?

It can "dry out" over time and become inneffective.

Same can happen if you just changed it out, there is a small burn in perioud that it needs to go through before it is fully effective. But it looks more like it should be changed.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

tromm35

Honorable
May 14, 2012
@Itzdan

So the GPU running at 79degrees Celsius is fine? That's a relief.

I haven't changed the thermal compound in a while, it is possible it has dried out. Its been in there for over a year.

@po1nted
I haven't made any changes recently. I changed cases about 6 months ago, havent had any problems until now.

I did go over the entire case with compressed air to make sure it was dust free.

The fan on the heat sink is working properly, and i have no reason to believe that the heat sink isn't as well.

No, it has good airflow.

monsta

Splendid
Remove the CPU heat sink and reapply thermal paste , make sure when you seat the CPU heat sink that you do it perfectly, if its not seated accurately it can run hotter or completely overheat and shut down your pc. Give it a try and see how you go.
Since you have changed cases it would be good to have a look at any addition fans you may be able to install to your new case , it might just not have the same airflow as your previous case.
Fans are cheap and help a lot to reduce the temps of your components.
Also good to do some cable management to unrestrict the airflow in your case.

also check t see if any wires are to close to the fans..they can get sucked in. also check that the cpu fan is on the cpu header and check the bios to see what setting the fan is on. it running too slow for a cpu of that type it should be spinning more. (check to see if the fan itself is going bad (spinning slow or it looks like it having a hard time starting ad power up.) the gpu should be around 50c idle. i have the 250 gtx and it a hot running chip. if it not the fan and cpu try taking the side panel off and see if it an airflow issue.

Yeah, 79c is fine for a gpu, they can push 90c safely.

As monsta mentioned, replace the Thermal Compound, that was my first guess anyways.

@Smorizio the screenshots posted in OP, it shows CPU fan running at over 30rpm, that is correct for a CPU.

monsta

Splendid

30 rpm is way too low?
Good observation , that needs to be turned up

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

79 while fine is a little high, I don't think my old 8800GTS 512Mb ever hit that high even in the summer. Have you blown out the video card with the compressor? If not hold the fan and aim the blower towards the DVI ports and give it a good cleaning, you should also clean off the blades of the fan as well. It's best to clean the video card outside the case. Same goes for your CPU cooler as well, blow off the fan blades and heatsink as well as replacing the TIM.

tromm35

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Ill try adding some more thermal paste. If that doesn't work, maybe its time to just upgrade my board, cpu, and memory.

@cliff

I used compressed air to clean as you suggested both to the graphics card and my cpu's fan and heatsink. After some light lurking on other forums, 77-80 degrees celsius seems high for just idling.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Adding more thermal compound isnt the answer. You have to completely clean both surfaces of thermal paste and then reapply a tiny bit of NEW thermal paste. When I say tiny, opinions vary, I go with the grain of rice size drop and let the HSF spread it under tension. Others will argue and say their way is better, thats fine, just dont add too much. That can have the same adverse effect as having too little or dried up paste.

tromm35

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Thanks for the advice.

@cliffro

Ill try removing the shroud and do some extra cleaning. Not sure what a TIM is though =X

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Thermal Interface Material, i.e. thermal paste, but TIM is easier to type.

Oh and I thought it was bad when my old GTX 260 was idling in the mid-high 50s. That's when I decided to open'er up and clean + replace the TIM on it.