Your question

GTX 460 sudden high idle temp.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2012 7:38:54 PM

Okay so last night when I went to bed my GTX 460 in the 16x slot was running at normal idle temps (28c-30c) when I got up this morning my top card was running at 40-45c at idle. The temperature in the house is slightly higher but not enough to make a difference, my bottom card is still running at normal idle temps (currently 31c) No matter what I do I can't get the first cards temp to drop below 40, I even turned up the fan speed to 80% at idle and it just sat at 41c. I'm quite baffled as to what is going on, it's a newer card, only about 3 weeks maybe a month old. Could it be going bad already? Oh and I ran furmark just to see what it would do temp wise and it never went above 75c on the 1080p test after 5 minutes.

I'm not so much worried about it over heating obviously since the temps are okay under load, but...what the hell is going on here lol. What would cause it it just suddenly jump 10 degrees at idle? Any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

-James

More about : gtx 460 sudden high idle temp

May 14, 2012 8:45:37 PM

I think I just solved my own problem...and it seems REALLY stupid to me. I just realized last night I switched over to running dual monitors because I was watching a movie on my 55" while playing some games. I never switched it back to single monitor. Well I just switched it back and now my idle temps are back to normal. Why would dual monitors raise my temps so much?
m
l
!