$800 gaming build, need help picking PSU and mobo, and stretching my $

polecat99

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hello, I am building a secondary gaming machine for my wife so that we can play co-op games together. I haven't scratch-built a pc since around 1995, but I'm sure I can figure it out. I usually get pre-built machines, but I really need to stretch out my dollars on this one. I only have $800 to spend and I have to buy a new copy of windows :( . So I am going to take apart an old machine that is collecting dust and reuse the case, HDD, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Here's the details:

Approximate Purchase Date: 7/14/2012 (next Saturday)
Budget Range: $800
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming only, dont care about heat or noise, just wanna play games at high/ultra settings
Parts Not Required: here is the old case I will be using. The HDD I'll be reusing is about 2 years old, 500GB Sata 2. I want to add an SSD to this rig if I can afford it.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.directron.com, microcenter, frys, compusa. I live in Houston and prefer to buy things at a brick and mortar store if possible
Overclocking: maybe a little, but not much, I'll be using the stock CPU cooler
SLI or Crossfire: no
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: I am a little over budget, but I am hoping you all can help me save a few bucks on the PSU and possibly the mobo. I would love to put in a 120GB SSD, but I can barely afford a 60GB, so I guess that will have to do.

Here's my current parts list:
CPU: Core i5-3450 - $149.99 at microcenter
GPU: PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5 - $239.99 at directron (Here's the Newegg description)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $119.99 at Frys (Here's the Newegg description)
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 - $59.99 at directron (Here's the Newegg description)
RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Desktop Memory PGS34G1600ELK - $22.99 at Frys. (Here's the Newegg description)
SSD: Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 60GB - $54.99 at microcenter (Here's the Newegg description)
DVD: Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support - $15.99 at microcenter
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM - $99.99 at microcenter

Total: $763.92 + $63.02 (8.25% local sales tax) = $826.94

Extra questions:
1) does this rig look ok to you?
2) Will everything fit in that old case ok? I would assume it would.
3) Is a 600W PSU big enough? I will not ever do SLI/crossfire, but I may upgrade the GPU and add another HDD later on.
4) I dont know much about mobo's or PSU's. Could I save some money on a different mobo or PSU? I tend to keep my machines for around 5 years, so I need a good, reliable PSU.

Oh, I usually don't even bother with rebates anymore. They almost never work for me. I suppose if there are a lot of them, then I'll try, but don't include rebates on your price considerations.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help! :D

PS: I just noticed the 120GB Agility 3 drive is on sale at directron for $90, that would be sweet, if I could afford it.

obsama1

Distinguished
Yes, it will work fine. However, you can go cheaper by getting the i5 3570K. It costs $40 more, but you get $50 off the motherboard(only when you buy them together at Microcenter), so you get more power for less! 600W looks fine. 4GB of RAM is good, but if you have Windows, a game, and you're alt-tabbing, you might need more. 6GB perhaps? But, it all looks fine.

polecat99

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

Can you post the link to the combo? I cant find it.

polecat99

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Oh ok!
Cool!, thanks for pointing that out. I went to the microcenter site and added the cpu and mobo to my "cart" and it automatically deducted the $50. It doesnt say anything about why it is doing that, but hey, whatever. It actually comes out to $10 more than buying the mobo at Frys. but if i can upgrade from a 3450 to a 3570K for $10,. i'll take it!