Can't wake from sleep and slow from hibernate

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi guys, I have a strange problem with my HTPC and can't narrow down to a specific fault.

This problem happened very soon after I'd built it.

Basically what happens is, if you put the PC to sleep or hibernate, then press the power button, nothing happens for about 10 seconds, then it will suddenly power up (sometimes it powers down then powers up again!).

If the PC was sleeping, it will not boot after the lights come on and the HDD and BD-ROM (nothing inserted) drive spins up. It just sits there doing nothing except spinning the fans. You need to hold the power button to switch it off, then switch it back on again (this time it comes on instantly) and it boots normally from the hibernation file, or if hybrid sleep is disabled it will show as recovered from a power outage or something.

If the PC was hibernating rather than sleeping, the same thing happens except it actually will boot, but there is still a huge delay between pressing the power button and the PC actually showing any signs of life. This is OK, but I would much rather have it in sleep mode to make it turn on much faster.

If the PC is shut down normally, no problems occur. I should also point out that the same thing happens whether using Windows or Ubuntu.

NEXT!

I swapped the power supply that came with the case for a higher wattage Corsair one and the problem seemed to go away! It hadn't had any issues with sleeping for several months, then all of a sudden the problem just came back out of nowhere.

The strangest thing is that if I open the case, wiggle the cables around, it works afterwards when I test it! But if I plug it back in and put it back on the TV cabinet, the problem just comes back as though it's protesting being put in that spot. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is too much stuff plugged in back there and it prefers being plugged directly into the wall socket but I dunno why that would be.

Things I've tried:

Swapping outlets
Swapping power cables
Unplugging everything AND specific things
Re-installing Windows
Replacing disk
Memtest (no fault found)
Swapping power supplies
Updating the BIOS

PC specs:

Core i3 2100
HIS AMD HD6670
8GB Kingston HyperX memory
60GB OCZ Vertex 2 (also tried OCZ 64GB Core)
Corsair 520w PSU (worked OK to start with, replaced 380w Antec)
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 motherboard

nZeus

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hi!

I've the similar issue.
The reason is in the Kingston HyperX.
******* memory :(

Best,
nZeus <nZeus@programist.ru>