Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New GPU or new PC? Gamer advise needed!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2012 7:56:13 PM

Hi guys,

I am currently running a Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 ghz with a 5770 card. Right now I play Tera and CS:GO beta. They both play okay on max resolution with medium settings, but could be better. I intend to play Diablo 3, and maybe The Secret World, among other future games.

My question is: Should I upgrade the gpu to something like a 7770, and will it be able to continue running games through 2012 with my current setup? Or will my old cpu/mobo/ram hold the games back so much that a new gpu wouldn't matter? At this point I would consider building a new system, but a new gpu would only be about $170, while a new system would be in the $800-1000 range.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
a c 290 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 8:00:11 PM

You'll be maxing diablo 3 out with that setup.
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 8:33:55 PM

junkzor said:
Hi guys,

I am currently running a Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 ghz with a 5770 card. Right now I play Tera and CS:GO beta. They both play okay on max resolution with medium settings, but could be better. I intend to play Diablo 3, and maybe The Secret World, among other future games.

My question is: Should I upgrade the gpu to something like a 7770, and will it be able to continue running games through 2012 with my current setup? Or will my old cpu/mobo/ram hold the games back so much that a new gpu wouldn't matter? At this point I would consider building a new system, but a new gpu would only be about $170, while a new system would be in the $800-1000 range.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

With those games that will be fine. It should be noted that a 6850 performs better than a 7770 and can be found for cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources

Best solution

May 14, 2012 8:45:23 PM

I'd say spoil yourself and get a solid video card to run with that setup, would allow you to max out all but the most CPU intensive games.

Looks like you have your e8400 oc'd? IIRC it runs stock at 3.2. That's a really solid core and only recently did i upgrade to an i2500k in a new build.

I'd suggest looking at getting an SSD to improve overall windows performance, and/or a solid video card (think 7850/7950/560 ti) to futureproof a bit.

Of course, it's all about wants. Nobody really NEEDS an epic gaming rig, there's always the option to play at lower settings or put up with lower framerates at times, but if you're the type that absolutely has to have the best of the best running then a new build is most always a no brainer.

In this case, I say slap a new card in it and you're golden for gaming, SSD for overall snapiness if that is important to you. That core is very ample for gaming. Later on when you decide to upgrade, move the card/ssd to the new rig and away you go.

EDIT: e8400 runs at 3.0 stock, Nice OC!
May 14, 2012 9:14:08 PM

Thanks guys. Very helpful information! Yes, the e8400 is oc'd a bit. I found someone a couple years ago on these forums with the EXACT same cpu/mobo/ram, and posted every detail on how to get a stable 3.6ghz (because I was way too girly to attempt it myself). It seemed like an ample boost without overdoing it. Haven't had any issues with it.

I will probably just invest in a 6850/7770 for now and ride out the end of the year with this machine. Truly appreciate the input!
May 14, 2012 9:14:53 PM

Best answer selected by junkzor.
!