Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 crashed my pc now it wont boot

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2012 7:01:35 AM

Hello,
hi my pc is antec 900 case q9550 2.8 ghz i have 12gb ddr 3 ram , asus p5q3 delux wif ap on motherboard, 600w psu i thnk ezcool is the brand, alaska pico venom cooler,i have 4 120 mm intake fans one 120mm exaust fan and a 200m intake fan , geforce gtx 550ti 1gb gpu.running windows 7 64 bit home premium.

the problem i have occured when i ran pime95 to see my max temp under load,it ran for about ten to 15 seconds then shut down and i could smell electrical smoke like the smell of thermal paste when you use it for the first time. my pc shut itself down then turned on and off and did this two more times before it eventually switched off.i tried to switch it back on and get no boot i have all power running to the motherboard fans optical drive and gpu,i thought maybe it was a problem with the ram so i tried all sticks indvidually in easch socket and tried a new 4gb ram but still no boot to bios i also tried a different q6600 core but to no avail i also removed the onboard battery and did the cmos trick but nothing,maybe my motherboard is fried but im still getting the onboard reset and power switch on? or it could be my gpu any help would be much appreciated.

please not idid not try to overclock anything just running on stock speeds.
November 17, 2012 9:31:37 AM

ezcool; never heard of it. Replace it with a good branded name, such as antec, corsair, seasonic, enermax, xfx, ocz (my brand) and try booting again. Hopefully, your old ps protected your system from harm by shutting down quickly.
November 17, 2012 9:42:24 AM

what temps were you seeing before it happened? seems to be more likely to be psu though.
Related resources
November 17, 2012 10:30:38 AM

my psu is working fine it powers all fans core fan and the gpu , also i can see the two red and yellow leds which is for onboard reset and power on or off they are both alight
November 17, 2012 10:33:10 AM

i didnt get to see any tempatures before it crased it was to sudden
November 17, 2012 10:45:10 AM

In any case, if you replace the motherboard, don't use your old ps; find a spare ps and breadboard the setup for testing. You won't need much juice for testing to get a post screen. You'll feel awfully stupid if the same thing happens again with the new board.
November 17, 2012 10:59:04 AM

pull power off from psu and battery off from mobo for some hours then try again
November 17, 2012 12:01:13 PM

iv already pulled power suply and onboard battery and didnt work/ im gonna try the psu on a old motherboard and see if i can get it to bios i will let you know the outcome, if the old board works looks like im gonna have to replace the board, but just gonna go i7 and get a 1175 board cos trying to get a ddr3 16gb socket 775 board was hard.
November 18, 2012 10:05:59 AM

did the breadboard test with another core mobo and gpu .long story short fried my core and motherboard
!