How to make shortcuts opening Explorer with my settings?

The shortcuts I have to Windows Explorer open on "My Documents",
and in a window whose place (on the screen) and size are not as
I would like (even after setting to my liking, Windows sometimes
insists coming back to some sort of defaults which I don't
like).

When I Right-Click on the Start button and chose "Explore All
users", it's still worse: here the folder it opens is OK, but
the size and place of the window are even not the one I just
chose for regular Explorer windows! And I would like BTW make
other similar shortcuts to the other users' profiles.

So I want to write a couple of shortcuts opening Windows
Explorer exactly on the folders I like, with the window size and
place I like. Anyone knows how to do that? TIA,

Paris, Sun 13 Mar 2005 12:20:30 +0100

Right-click the Windows Explorer shortcut.
Click Properties
Replace %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe with any of the following:
------------------------------­-----------
"My Computer" in left side and C: in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,c:
------------------------------­-----------
Desktop:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/n,/select,/root,c:
------------------------------­-----------
System drive expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select
------------------------------­-----------
System drive expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,%systemroot%
------------------------------­-----------
Windows Directory expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,%systemroot%
------------------------------­-----------
Drive C: expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:
------------------------------­-----------
My Computer in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,
------------------------------­-----------
Opens the Windows folder as a folder:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%
------------------------------­-----------
Opens as "My Computer":
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,
------------------------------­-----------
Desktop folder with "My Computer" highlighted:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,/select,
------------------------------­-----------
"Desktop" in the left side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069­-A2D8-08002B30309D},/select
------------------------------­-----------
"My Computer" in left side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069­-A2D8-08002B30309D}
------------------------------­-----------
"Desktop" in left side and "My Computer" in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-10­69-A2D8-08002B30309D}
------------------------------­-----------

Austin M. Horst

Hi,

This KB might be of some help to you:

How to Customize the Windows Explorer views in WIndows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dilette" <dilette.merlin@laposte.net> wrote in message
> The shortcuts I have to Windows Explorer open on "My Documents",
> and in a window whose place (on the screen) and size are not as
> I would like (even after setting to my liking, Windows sometimes
> insists coming back to some sort of defaults which I don't
> like).
>
> When I Right-Click on the Start button and chose "Explore All
> users", it's still worse: here the folder it opens is OK, but
> the size and place of the window are even not the one I just
> chose for regular Explorer windows! And I would like BTW make
> other similar shortcuts to the other users' profiles.
>
> So I want to write a couple of shortcuts opening Windows
> Explorer exactly on the folders I like, with the window size and
> place I like. Anyone knows how to do that? TIA,
>
> Paris, Sun 13 Mar 2005 12:20:30 +0100

Thank you so much for posting this! I was sitting here, mentally composing a
post to ask this very question. I couldn't understand why, when one has a
folder for My Documents, one's first view of Explorer is an expanded My
Documents folder!

Glad to know it helped !

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
www.dts-l.org