Your question

Processor upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:17:54 AM

Hi I have a samsung RV511 with a I3-380m processor and it doen't get the job done for gaming. Im looking to upgrade and I think i put a I7 in but im not sure. Im looking at i7 640M. I think that it will fit but im not sure if my board will handle it. I have Intel Mobile HM55, windows 7 home, 4gb ram, 1tb WD black HHD, and a few other little tweaks. I dont even know where to start to find info. Thanks for any info.

More about : processor upgrade

a c 159 à CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:23:44 AM

I would email samsung tech support. You'll probably need a better heatsink, and that could be a problem finding one even if the board will work with the 640m. None of the mobile cpus come with a heatsink; nearly every board is proprietary with connections and spacing. I don't recommend it.
m
l
a c 913 à CPUs
November 17, 2012 11:51:47 AM

Maybe it is lack of good GPU that stops you from playing not the CPU. It is a problem with over 90% of laptops.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 10:22:45 PM

Thanks for your input. The graphics are my main concern at this point that is why i wanted to upgrade to a i7 with gma 4000, but at this point i think I will give samsung a call and see what they say. I know heat will be an issue but I have access to a 3d CNC machine so i could make my own if I needed. If anyone else has any info please let me know. And thanks for the help.
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:32:19 PM

rolli59 said:
Maybe it is lack of good GPU that stops you from playing not the CPU. It is a problem with over 90% of laptops.

+1

I'm pretty sure the i7 wouldn't offer any advantage in gaming compared to the i3 if it's paired with an IGP.
m
l
!