Current specs :-
MB :- MSI 870a-G54
Ram :- 4GB Enhanced Mushkin
CPU :- Phenom X4 955 BE (@3.7GHZ)
GPU :- Radeon 7970
PSU :- Corsair 750W HX

Requirements :-
- AMD HD3D monitor supported

I have shopped around looking at several monitors for AMD's 3D experience. As my knowledge is limited in this area, when they talk about pro's and con's I am not entirely sure on to what extent their gripes will effect me.

Here is a list of the monitors I have researched and read reviews on :-
HP 2311gt - £170
LG D2342P - £140
V3D231 - £210

Each seem to have their negatives that makes me wary of spending any money.

More about : choosing monitor

a c 132 C Monitor
May 14, 2012 10:23:05 PM

I personally have never used a passive 3D setup, and it appears all 3 options you are looking at are passive 3D. The only thing I know about passive, is that only half the pixels are the screen will be viewed from each eye, essentially making it as if you have half your normal resolution. The advantage is there is no ghosting with this technique, and it probably is not as dark either.
May 14, 2012 10:26:49 PM

Does AMD HD3D have anything else other than passive 3d?

''The only thing I know about passive, is that only half the pixels are the screen will be viewed from each eye, essentially making it as if you have half your normal resolution''

I am guessing that this is where it links into the 24fps at 1080p or 60fps at 720p
Related resources
a c 132 C Monitor
May 14, 2012 10:34:00 PM

J_4mes said:
Does AMD HD3D have anything else other than passive 3d?

''The only thing I know about passive, is that only half the pixels are the screen will be viewed from each eye, essentially making it as if you have half your normal resolution''

I am guessing that this is where it links into the 24fps at 1080p or 60fps at 720p

No, the 24fps/hz deal is for active shutter glass systems. The active systems will flash alternating images to one eye, then to the next. So you need double hz in order for each eye to see normal hz.

Passive systems will split the pixels in half, so that each eye only sees half the pixels on the screen. There is no need for increasing the refresh rate as result. In the passive systems, every other pixels displays a different polarized light, that with the glasses on, only allows one eye to see depending on it's polarization.

Most HD3D systems are active. The best ones atm are Samsung 750 and 950 models as they support displayport, which does allow for 1080p at 60hz per eye.
May 14, 2012 10:43:27 PM

Are there any Active monitors that are 120HZ that are within the 250£ price range?
May 14, 2012 11:06:01 PM

Thank you for the link I will book mark it and seriously consider it.

I have done a lot of reading on HD3D but something that still confuses me is the pro's and con's to both Active 3d and passive 3d.

From reading Passive 3D appears to be the way to go. Comfort, Better sense of depth, Eye strain is reduced, sharper image than Active and I think brighter too.

As a user of Active, what would you say was a good pro--con list to active 3d?
May 14, 2012 11:11:59 PM

Futhermore is there any draw back to having a 3d monitor and using it in 2d? Is there any quality loss of any kind with either Passive or Active 3d?
a c 132 C Monitor
May 14, 2012 11:12:49 PM

Sense of depth is going to be exactly the same. I think what you read was comparing these conversion modes which make 2D movies into 3D movies, which suck.

The Active shutter glass method definitely has the sharper image. You get double the resolution. With the passive system, you give up half the pixels from each eye to see the same image. Active shutter glasses give up no resolution.

I do not know which would be brighter, but if I were to make a guess, I'd guess the passive system is brighter, because your eyes always see the screen, while the active shutter glasses constantly black out each eye, so less light gets through.

Eye strain can be a con of the Active shutter glasses. I personally only experience problems with low FPS, but others may have the eye strain due to the constant blacking out of each eye.

I've heard people with passive that both liked and disliked it. Given that I have not used both, I cannot say what I think is best.
!