Prebuilt system for gaming - 1300$

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 9:06:01 PM

Hello everyone
I'm considering buying a new system prebuilt that looks like this:
INTEL i5 3570K IVY BRIDGE 3.4GHZ
* GEFORCE GTX670 2GB DDR5
* ASUS P8Z77-V LX BUNDKORT M. USB3.0 OG SATA6 Gbs
* 500GB SATA 6 Gbs HARDDISK, 7200RPM (WD)
* 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ HYPER-X RAM, KINGSTON
* 24x SATA DVDBURNER +/-, AND DVD-RAM (SONY)
* 750W GX COOLERMASTER POWERSUPPLY, 80+ AND SLI CERTIFIED
* 8CH (5.1 & 7.1) SURROUND LYDKORT
* 8x USB PORTE (2stk er USB 3.0) (2 PÅ FRONT, 6 REAR)
* KABINET COOLERMASTER ELITE430

I would like my built to 'last' for 2-3 years, playing the newest games on highest settings the first two and then 'keeping' pace half a year or more. Can this build do it?

But im kind of torn - im not sure wether i should wait till my current computer is older. Will someone evaluate this based on the specifications of my current built?
AMD PHENOM II hexcore 1090T
Radeon 5850HD 1 GB graphics card
4 gigabyte DDR3 Kingston Ram (1600 MHZ)
Corsair HX620W PSU

To sum up my questions
1). Would the computer, specified in caps lock, stick with me as a good gaming rig for 2-3 years? or would that require more money?
2). Should i upgrade its PSU or perhaps replace it with my Corsair 620W?
3). Should i upgrade the CPU cooling? or is this only an issue if i want to overclock?
and lastly, 4). Will my current computer have a shot at the next generation of games like Assassins Creed 3 or even current ones like Starcraft 2 and BF3?

Thanks for reading

P.S - Concerning the games specified i would test this but atm i am awaiting a new CPU cooler to replace a broken one and hence my current gaming rig isn't available.
July 7, 2012 9:35:11 PM

Hi, if i were you id buy the GTX 670 and use it with the build you have right now, of course... you will need to overclock your CPU a little bit so that it doesnt bottleneck the GTX 670, and wait for haswell to do a full plataform upgrade, if not, buy this build, it will last you a long time and if you ever need more power simply buy a second GTX 670 and that will give you enough juice to keep running for a long time

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.50 @ B&H)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.84 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1301.24
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

btw... whats your budget?
Anonymous
July 7, 2012 9:56:34 PM

Quote:
1). Would the computer, specified in caps lock, stick with me as a good gaming rig for 2-3 years? or would that require more money?

quick answer, yes.
is the 8CH (5.1 & 7.1) SURROUND LYDKORT a sound card? you really don't need it.
Quote:
2). Should i upgrade its PSU or perhaps replace it with my Corsair 620W?

a quality PSU such the corsair will be enough for the system as listed.
Quote:
3). Should i upgrade the CPU cooling? or is this only an issue if i want to overclock?

if you are not going to overclock you won't need a cpu cooler nor a "K" series cpu get a i5-3450 or 3550 instead.
Quote:
4). Will my current computer have a shot at the next generation of games like Assassins Creed 3 or even current ones like Starcraft 2 and BF3?

i do think it has a good shot; try getting a GTX 670 and see how it performs if you overclock your current cpu. if the results are less than satisfying then upgrade the rest of the system.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 10:02:50 PM

Thank you, thats an interesting proposition (and a money saving one).
My budget is 1350-1450$. I'm danish so i only have access to danish suppliers or the uk version of amazon. Sorry for not including that information.

Your links confuse me though - Should i still consider buying a new system?

July 7, 2012 10:12:35 PM

Quote:
i do think it has a good shot; try getting a GTX 670 and see how it performs if you overclock your current cpu. if the results are less than satisfying then upgrade the rest of the system.

Trouble is, the system is prebuilt. I wouldn't be able to add in hardware at leisure unless i chose to build myself - and i'm afraid i'd mess something up in that case.

But you'd advice against purchasing a new system already?
Anonymous
July 7, 2012 10:14:31 PM

your system is still good for playing games. it would be wiser to upgrade the graphics then "sell the farm" and get a new system right now.

the 670 would be an overkill; there will be some games depending at the resolution that the 1090T will limit it. a GTX 570 may be a better choice to balance what you have now and get another one to run SLI when you upgrade later.

but i am not familiar with what pricing you have and it may not be cost effective in the long run. so its a bit of a dilemma to pick a 670 and face some cpu limitations or a 570 and not need to worry/concerned.

EDIT: replacing a graphics card is as easy as inserting flap A into slot B :) 
July 7, 2012 10:35:14 PM

Anonymous said:
your system is still good for playing games. it would be wiser to upgrade the graphics then "sell the farm" and get a new system right now.

the 670 would be an overkill; there will be some games depending at the resolution that the 1090T will limit it. a GTX 570 may be a better choice to balance what you have now and get another one to run SLI when you upgrade later.

but i am not familiar with what pricing you have and it may not be cost effective in the long run. so its a bit of a dilemma to pick a 670 and face some cpu limitations or a 570 and not need to worry/concerned.

EDIT: replacing a graphics card is as easy as inserting flap A into slot B :) 

Thank you for the analysis :) 
Your post made me realize - even as i wrote - that it would be alot more cost-effective to learn building a rig myself.
I could buy an i5 3570k cpu, Geforce 670, 4 gigs of ram and an SSD to upgrade my system and save a few thousand dkk (330 dollars). Wouldnt this option be the most cost effective?

In this instance i would, ofcourse, run into the trouble of knowing wether my motherboard can handle the upgrades. What should i look out for in regards to this?
Anonymous
July 7, 2012 11:13:17 PM

you would also need a socket 1155 motherboard, for the intel cpu.

looking for a model that is "Z77" for all the better features and the abiltiy to overclock a "K" series cpu. there are also "Z75" that have most all the same features but they are not as "popular"

if you post some links to what is available, it is not a problem to discuss them with you.
July 7, 2012 11:44:53 PM

Just opened my case. I have a gigabyte ga-870a-ud3 From what i gather this is only compatible with AMD CPUs which motherboard alternative would you recommend?

Thanks for helping me out by the way - This is really doing a ton for me.
Anonymous
July 8, 2012 12:06:51 AM

is there a web site or online store to see what is available to you?

you may not be able to get what i would recommend without knowing.
July 8, 2012 12:08:38 AM

gulex said:
Just opened my case. I have a gigabyte ga-870a-ud3 From what i gather this is only compatible with AMD CPUs which motherboard alternative would you recommend?

Thanks for helping me out by the way - This is really doing a ton for me.

of course its only compatible with amd cpus, dummy :lol:  you cant use a intel CPU on a AMD board.
I suggest you take my advise, buy the GTX 670 so you can play every game you want with high f/s and overclock (you will need a decent CPU cooler) your CPU or else its going to bottleneck the GTX 670, that should be more than enough to keep you happy until Haswell gets released in about 7 months
July 8, 2012 12:19:24 AM

looniam
http://www.proshop.dk/ would be the obvious one for me but its in danish. The search system should be understandable for anyone however and the parts are listed in english.

aqualipt: I see your point but i'd need extra ram too then, right? Also i'm a newb concerning hardware so yes, im prolly a dummy lol.
July 8, 2012 12:27:46 AM

gulex said:

aqualipt: I see your point but i'd need extra ram too then, right? Also i'm a newb concerning hardware so yes, im prolly a dummy lol.

nop, the RAM you currently have is enough.

Also i'm a newb concerning hardware so yes, im prolly a dummy lol. said:
Also i'm a newb concerning hardware so yes, im prolly a dummy lol.

its ok, everyone in here was newb once :lol: 
July 8, 2012 12:32:52 AM

btw... the only page you have acces to in the UK is Amazon?? because i found 2 cheap gtx 670s a reference MSI GTX 670 for 299gbps or a Custom Gigabyte GTX 670 for 318gbps, the gigabyte card will run cooler and quieter
July 8, 2012 12:39:27 AM

I live in Denmark - I meant that the UK version of Amazon was the only site (on the top of my head) selling hardware that i had access to. Except for danish suppliers, naturally. Buying from the UK would require considerable discounts on their part since the shipping fees to Denmark are, ehm, considerable.
Anonymous
July 8, 2012 12:49:31 AM

here are some motherboard suggestions and the prices:
ASRock Z75 Pro3 701,00 or ASRock Z77 Pro3 734,00
ASRockZ77 Extreme4 1.040,00
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H 1.194,00
ASUS P8Z77-V 1.276,00

and a heatsink if you are going to overclock:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 246,00
Intel Core i5 3570K 1.706,00
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128N 128 GB 980,00

of the 670 cards this one caught my attention
ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 3.299,00 kr.

July 8, 2012 12:53:09 AM

gulex said:
I live in Denmark - I meant that the UK version of Amazon was the only site (on the top of my head) selling hardware that i had access to. Except for danish suppliers, naturally. Buying from the UK would require considerable discounts on their part since the shipping fees to Denmark are, ehm, considerable.

well the cheapest GTX 670 in the site you linked is this one : http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/Palit-GeForce-GTX670-(2-GB)-2335657.html
July 8, 2012 9:35:58 AM

Thanks alot for the help guys. I've settled with the 'buy Geforce 670 and overclock CPU' solution :) . Then i can always add in a better/Intel supporting motherboard + CPU later if i find it neccesary.
Will the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo be sufficient for the overclocking? I've heard some conflicting views on the internet.
July 8, 2012 9:38:08 AM

Anonymous said:
here are some motherboard suggestions and the prices:
ASRock Z75 Pro3 701,00 or ASRock Z77 Pro3 734,00
ASRockZ77 Extreme4 1.040,00
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H 1.194,00
ASUS P8Z77-V 1.276,00

and a heatsink if you are going to overclock:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 246,00
Intel Core i5 3570K 1.706,00
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128N 128 GB 980,00

of the 670 cards this one caught my attention
ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 3.299,00 kr.

When i do upgrade my motherboard - is there a reason for picking a specific one of the ones you have listed? I know next to nothing about price/performance concerning motherboards if such even exist.
July 8, 2012 9:56:31 AM

IMO you should dump more RAM and a new GPU like the 670 into your current system - it's quite adequate still for gaming.
July 8, 2012 7:51:17 PM

One final question: How much should i overclock my phenom 6x 1090T cpu to prevent bottlenecking my Geforce 670?
Also i went with the hyper 212 EVO Cooler.

Im educating myself on CPUs and overclocking atm - If someone knows a good guide i'd like a link :) 
July 8, 2012 7:56:40 PM

Just overclock as far as you can in terms of stability and temps. Why wouldn't you?
Anonymous
July 8, 2012 8:31:52 PM

gulex said:
When i do upgrade my motherboard - is there a reason for picking a specific one of the ones you have listed? I know next to nothing about price/performance concerning motherboards if such even exist.

there were some of the least expensive.

both the pro 3s are very economical with the Z75 not having intel smart response technology; which can use a 60 Gbs SSD as a cache for the hard drive. because that does not give the performance of having all the OS and applications on a 120 Gb SSD it is not used except when someone can afford only a very small SSD. the feature that both lack is not having a DVI-D connection in the back, though having a D-Sub (analogue 16 pin) and HDMI.

both the UD3H and Extreme4 have three PCI x16 for graphics cards (x16/0/0 or 8/8/0 or 8/8/4). that would be for a one, two and three card set up respectively and be aware that a x4 mode will give 88%-92% performance of a x16 mode slot. a slot can be the size of a x16 but be "wired" for x4 mode also if two x16 slots share the same bandwidth they will default to x8, x8 when both slots are used for practically no performance decrease except when using more than 2 cards (a x8, x8, x8 set up) and 3 or more monitors.

the differences are:

the UD3H has 2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors, 6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports, 1 x DisplayPort, and the circuit board itself is a bit thicker and will not "flex" at ll or as much when plugging in components such as the 24 pin power connection.

the Extreme4 has 8 + 4 Power Phase Design for more stability to overclock, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors, 1 x eSATA3 (6Gb/s)Connector and 3 x Chassis Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 2 x 3-pin). this board gets recommended a lot for its price performance here is a review.

the Asus P8Z77-V has all the features of both the gigabyte and asrock boards and 8 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU for much better stability for overclocking, Wi-Fi GO! for wireless connectivity and a bit better audio codec.

when it comes to the motherboards available to you on the proshop site, it seemed just about all were good motherboards but not being familiar with the USD to DK exchange rate, i could not tell if they were drastically over priced. (using an online converter it seemed you are paying 10%-15% more in some cases)

now if you have the budget for a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 1.612,00 everyone will immediately suggest getting that. it does have a slightly better power design and a better warranty but i think those "dust covers" and cooling solution is more aesthetic than functional.

EDIT: just saw the other postings since i was grudging through the boards specs . .
as i originally suggested, if you are comfortable overclocking, getting a GTX 670 with a little more RAM would be the wisest way to go.
July 8, 2012 9:09:47 PM

The P8z77-V sounds like a good compromise from your description. Sabertooth sounds like more of a show off.

Just realized two things as i checked the rams in my motherboard: They're only 1333 Mhz AND they're 'kingston valureram' - wont lowgrade ram like these fry up if i attempt overclocking with these? Also, from what i read, 1333 MHZ seems very limiting OC-wise, no?
Anonymous
July 8, 2012 9:17:40 PM

whether you overclock what you have now or upgrade the system; it might be the wisest choice to just get a 8 gig RAM kit and not worry about any compatibility issues with the existing RAM. theoretically there ought not be but it can happen. then keep the kingston as spares in case of any issues later.
July 8, 2012 10:32:19 PM

OKay, that settled it. Thanks to everyone for commenting/helping me from the "sell the farm" solution to the "enhance you current farm" if such terminology is apropriate. A Moderater can close the thread now if neccesary.
July 9, 2012 12:44:26 AM

gulex said:
OKay, that settled it. Thanks to everyone for commenting/helping me from the "sell the farm" solution to the "enhance you current farm" if such terminology is apropriate. A Moderater can close the thread now if neccesary.

well, you can close it yourself :lol:  simply pick a "Best Anwser" ... btw, you asked "How much should i overclock my phenom 6x 1090T cpu to prevent bottlenecking my Geforce 670?" well thats kind of hard to tell.... my advise is that you buy the Tuniq Tower cooler and overclock your CPU as high as you can, here is a nice overclocking guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7AxZJ7tWc Good luck!
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 12:57:32 AM

its a discussion thread unless they PM a mod. no option to choose a best answer.
!