Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 and Phenom II 955 BE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2012 11:17:02 PM

Hi guys! This thread has probably popped up a couple times, but from multiple searches I've been having a really hard time finding a definitive answer to what I'm looking for.

I've finally decided to make the jump to a new video card after 3 generations of sitting on my GTX 260 (!, which has been overclocked a bit). Sadly, this will be the only thing I'll be able to change out for quite awhile. Far from ideal, I know, but I work with what I can do.

I've purchased the GTX 670 after way too long of trying to figure out what to pick, so that's on its way too. I have a pretty decent impression of what this card can do with a good CPU.

I guess my primary question here is this: I know already that I won't be able to max out the card's potential with my CPU (or at its current settings), but I'm having a hard time of what kind of baseline I'll be getting in games; will I at least be averaging 60 FPS in most games on high settings? How much can I alleviate this bottleneck by overclocking the Phenom (I know I need a better cooler before I do this)?

I've gotten tons of conflicting information about this matchup; some say it won't be an issue (which I doubt), others say it'll only be some games, some say it will be a massive severe bottleneck, others say overclocking pretty much saves the day. So you can see why I may be kind of lost.

Thanks for helping!

Example of Games I'll be playing frequently: Skyrim, ARMA 2, Super Monday Night Combat, Any Valve Game, Battlefield 3, Firefall, Deus Ex H.R., etc. ---- I'm aware that some of these games are heavily CPU bound, such as Skyrim. I'm also aware that some of these games (Valve games in particular) will not be an issue at all; I already blow through them with outdated hardware on max settings.

(Finished) System:
-EVGA GTX 670
-Phenom II x4 955 BE
-Corsair TX750 Watt PSU
-8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
-ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard
-Some other stuff

Ideally I'd be playing these games at:
-1920x1080
-High to Ultra settings
-Minimum 60 FPS average

Thanks again.

More about : gtx 670 phenom 955

a c 254 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 11:31:28 PM

You will of course know what your computer will be able to do once the card arrives and you put it into your Pc. It is a general rule that you can alieviate a cpu bottleneck by overclocking the cpu. If you have a quad core cpu at stock clock of at least 3.0 ghz then the chances of a bottleneck is slim. If you do get some bottlenecking then with the AMD cpu you can easily overclock it. The components that you have will fit nicely together with the 670.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 11:37:13 PM

the 955 will handle the card fine. You will lose some performance, but you should still max most games fairly easily.

Overclocking the CPU is a very good idea though. a cheap CM hyper 212+ will allow you to hit above 4ghz.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 11:56:34 PM

welshmousepk said:
the 955 will handle the card fine. You will lose some performance, but you should still max most games fairly easily.

Overclocking the CPU is a very good idea though. a cheap CM hyper 212+ will allow you to hit above 4ghz.

^+1
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 12:29:11 AM

You've answered yourself in many sentences.
Yes you'll be getting the average 60 FPS easily, the CPU will be a bottleneck only in CPU intensive games such as Skyrim, WOW.
In GPU intensive games, you won't lose much FPS compared to a high end Sandy Bridge E CPU, the following charts shows the scaling of AMD, Intel CPUs with GTX 680.

Here, there's no difference in GPU intensive games

And yea, OC that CPU to 4.0 GHz (the max you can get from Phenom IIs)
May 15, 2012 1:00:37 AM

Best answer selected by Zanarias.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:02:08 AM

Thanks to all of you, you all gave best answers :p . Ily had some extra information I hadn't already crossed before though.

I had a pretty good impression of how this would work out (I do -tons- of research before a purchase), but wanted some final input on how my CPU would do in this situation.

Thanks again. It's always great to have helpful people around :) .
m
l
!