Sign in with
Your question

First time build for editing and game design! Any help appreciated!

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2012 10:04:39 PM

Hi, I am building a pc as I am starting a computer games technology course, I also do alot of video editing. I use sony vegas, cinema 4d/3ds max (3d animation) boujou and after effects. My budget is around £1000 but is not completely strict if paying a little more gets me more for my money. The PC doesnt have to be built until september so i am going to buy the parts as they come on offer (if they do!) I have scanned the internet and asked for advice, this is what i have come up with........

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, Intel Z77 Express, ATX, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, Quad GPU AMD CrossfireX, Supports HDMI 1.4a)

DDR3 16GB PC 1600 CL10 G.Skill KIT (2x8GB) 16GBXL RipjawsX

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Harddrive (Maybe 2 depending on budget, but will continue to add more as money becomes available!)

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card (It seems to be quite cheap at the moment at scan so will snap this up now!)

Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower OR Coolermaster Haf 932 Full tower (Undecided, any thoughts??)

Antec CP-850 850W

Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

Any thoughts and opinions would be great, thanks!

July 7, 2012 10:06:38 PM

boozerbiz said:
Hi, I am building a pc as I am starting a computer games technology course, I also do alot of video editing. I use sony vegas, cinema 4d/3ds max (3d animation) boujou and after effects. My budget is around £1000 but is not completely strict if paying a little more gets me more for my money. The PC doesnt have to be built until september so i am going to buy the parts as they come on offer (if they do!) I have scanned the internet and asked for advice, this is what i have come up with........

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, Intel Z77 Express, ATX, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, Quad GPU AMD CrossfireX, Supports HDMI 1.4a)

DDR3 16GB PC 1600 CL10 G.Skill KIT (2x8GB) 16GBXL RipjawsX

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Harddrive (Maybe 2 depending on budget, but will continue to add more as money becomes available!)

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card (It seems to be quite cheap at the moment at scan so will snap this up now!)

Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower OR Coolermaster Haf 932 Full tower (Undecided, any thoughts??)

Antec CP-850 850W

Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

Any thoughts and opinions would be great, thanks!

That is a very solid and capable computer you got there!
Reguard the case: I have a Haf 932, and love it. It is masssssive, so any upgrades will fit without trouble. But thats coming from a cooler master fanboy :D 

Maybe something you could look into is a solid state drive, to load software and projects faster, but its only if you have the money.

Also, im not a graphics expert, but if you are doing serious graphics stuff, you could always upgrade the 570 to a 580 or radeon 7870, but the 570 is a great choice nonetheless.

Overall, great setup!
July 7, 2012 11:13:45 PM

Dupontrocks11 said:
That is a very solid and capable computer you got there!
Reguard the case: I have a Haf 932, and love it. It is masssssive, so any upgrades will fit without trouble. But thats coming from a cooler master fanboy :D 

Maybe something you could look into is a solid state drive, to load software and projects faster, but its only if you have the money.

Also, im not a graphics expert, but if you are doing serious graphics stuff, you could always upgrade the 570 to a 580 or radeon 7870, but the 570 is a great choice nonetheless.

Overall, great setup!

Thanks for the quick and helpful response!
Yeah I do like the coolermasters too, although I like the idea of the washable dust filters on the Antec, might be a coin flip for the case!

The SSD is something I was looking into getting. As long as they are hassle free to fit at a later stage - I think I will wait a while before getting one. I might as well spend my money on a good base first rather than skimp on other components i suppose!

I have looked at the other graphics cards you suggested, I'm tempted but if I don't draw a line somewhere I will end up spending loooooooads!

Thanks again for your help, please let me know if you have any other useful advice :D 

Related resources
July 8, 2012 12:44:21 AM

not a bad build. id suggest some items to help save costs

1: id get a gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard instead. thermal armor is not that useful and isnt worth it
2: for the case, id recommend getting a fractal core 3000 since its cheap and has great build quality
3:id suggest getting the gtx670 since it has more performance. but if the programs you are using requires double percision compute or any computing with the GPU, get the 570 or 580. if the programs you use support OpenCL, get a 7850 instead of the 570 or 580.
4: for the power supply, id suggest getting a xfx xxx 750w power supply instead. not that sure where antec gets their power supplies rebranded from
July 8, 2012 12:59:21 AM

TheBigTroll said:
not a bad build. id suggest some items to help save costs

1: id get a gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard instead. thermal armor is not that useful and isnt worth it
2: for the case, id recommend getting a fractal core 3000 since its cheap and has great build quality
3:id suggest getting the gtx670 since it has more performance. but if the programs you are using requires double percision compute or any computing with the GPU, get the 570 or 580. if the programs you use support OpenCL, get a 7850 instead of the 570 or 580.
4: for the power supply, id suggest getting a xfx xxx 750w power supply instead. not that sure where antec gets their power supplies rebranded from

While I do agree with the gimicky nature of the sabertooth, as long as you are gunna go udh3, why not just pick up a udh5? It has more features and is overall a much better mobo than the udh3. The udh3 has 0 internal USB 3.0 connectors while the udh5 has 2.

I do like the fractal cases but the HAF cooler master series is known for having incredible airflow and has very little dust buildup because of how open the case is. But then again, I'm a cooler master fan boy :D 

Basically the gtx670 is overkill for what he needs to do. The 570 is good enough and the 580 would be better, theres no reason for him to spend an extra 200 bucks when he could use that to buy a SSD.

Antec is a fantastic place to get a PSU from, and the only thing keeping XFX in business is the lifetime warranty which is killing them simultaneously
July 9, 2012 8:39:47 PM

Dupontrocks11 said:
While I do agree with the gimicky nature of the sabertooth, as long as you are gunna go udh3, why not just pick up a udh5? It has more features and is overall a much better mobo than the udh3. The udh3 has 0 internal USB 3.0 connectors while the udh5 has 2.

I do like the fractal cases but the HAF cooler master series is known for having incredible airflow and has very little dust buildup because of how open the case is. But then again, I'm a cooler master fan boy :D 

Basically the gtx670 is overkill for what he needs to do. The 570 is good enough and the 580 would be better, theres no reason for him to spend an extra 200 bucks when he could use that to buy a SSD.

Antec is a fantastic place to get a PSU from, and the only thing keeping XFX in business is the lifetime warranty which is killing them simultaneously

So would you go gigabyte z77 udh5 over the sabertooth?? Ive got a while before I buy so am probably gonna keep changing my mind!

Also, how much do you think I will benefit from an ssd using the programs i mentioned? If its really worth it from the start then I may stretch my budget.
July 9, 2012 8:46:07 PM

he could pick up the ud5h for sure. just that it costs more and that he may not use all of the features

if he needs to compute power of the 580, go ahead and get it. otherwise a 670 would be fine.

xfx power supplies are great. they are rebrands of a seasonic unit. and you do know that seasonic makes the best power supplies in the industry
July 9, 2012 9:41:53 PM

boozerbiz said:
So would you go gigabyte z77 udh5 over the sabertooth?? Ive got a while before I buy so am probably gonna keep changing my mind!

Also, how much do you think I will benefit from an ssd using the programs i mentioned? If its really worth it from the start then I may stretch my budget.

Well I certainly suggest the UDH5 over the sabertooth. It's cheaper, and in my opinion, is just an overall better board. Plus it's cheaper so you can save some money.

As for the graphics card, I think a 570 would suit you fine, but if you really want to get the top of the line, you could go for the 580. But for me, I would rather save the money and stick with a 570. Or as an alternative you could grab a Radeon 7950 for 339.99 on Newegg. I don't want to add another tier of product choice to your decision, but it's cheap and has 3GB of VRAM, so I think it should be considered

Finally I highly recommend a SSD for both graphics and gaming. It will decrease loading times of applications and games and allow you to load your files in a moments time. Basically, it just makes everything quicker. So if you hate loading times and want your computer to be snappy, a SSD is the way to go. But if you don't you won't be punished, you will just have to wait a little while longer :D .

@TheBigTroll I apologize I forgot that XFX power supplies were rebranded seasonic! I was referring to XFX as a whole, but i forgot they had an ace in the hole lol.
July 10, 2012 9:53:22 AM

Dupontrocks11 said:
Well I certainly suggest the UDH5 over the sabertooth. It's cheaper, and in my opinion, is just an overall better board. Plus it's cheaper so you can save some money.

As for the graphics card, I think a 570 would suit you fine, but if you really want to get the top of the line, you could go for the 580. But for me, I would rather save the money and stick with a 570. Or as an alternative you could grab a Radeon 7950 for 339.99 on Newegg. I don't want to add another tier of product choice to your decision, but it's cheap and has 3GB of VRAM, so I think it should be considered

Finally I highly recommend a SSD for both graphics and gaming. It will decrease loading times of applications and games and allow you to load your files in a moments time. Basically, it just makes everything quicker. So if you hate loading times and want your computer to be snappy, a SSD is the way to go. But if you don't you won't be punished, you will just have to wait a little while longer :D .

@TheBigTroll I apologize I forgot that XFX power supplies were rebranded seasonic! I was referring to XFX as a whole, but i forgot they had an ace in the hole lol.

Cool ill look into the udh5!

I think the 570 is gonna be ideal for what I need but I might as well keep an eye on the offers, if the 580 or 7950 gets some money knocked off then cant really say no!

I am tempted by the SSD, how do I go about using it without filling it up too quick? Do I just put the OS and any programs I use on it? Just anything I want to load up quickly I suppose?
July 10, 2012 11:05:02 AM

128gb is a optimal size ssd. so is 120gb

you can fit the os, most of the important apps, and a couple of games
July 10, 2012 1:48:35 PM

Get both a SSD and a HDD-speed and storage, good if youv'e got the money
July 10, 2012 2:02:40 PM

boozerbiz said:
Cool ill look into the udh5!

I think the 570 is gonna be ideal for what I need but I might as well keep an eye on the offers, if the 580 or 7950 gets some money knocked off then cant really say no!

I am tempted by the SSD, how do I go about using it without filling it up too quick? Do I just put the OS and any programs I use on it? Just anything I want to load up quickly I suppose?

Although it doesnt seem like a lot, 128 GB is actually a good amount of space. Many apple computers have only a 128GB SSD. You should have room to store your OS, any applications and quite a few games with room to spare. And you can save all other things (like word docs) which dont require load times to the HDD. And when it eventually fills up, you can always delete the projects and games you dont want to make space for others.
July 10, 2012 2:17:29 PM

im living off an 80gb hard drive on my laptop.
July 12, 2012 12:55:42 AM

thanks all! Think im gonna stick an SSD in there as well, it makes sense! looks like Im pretty much sorted then! Until I change my mind again.......
Im still open to any advice and thoughts of course
cheers!
September 13, 2012 9:29:43 PM

Hi again all! Its getting closer to the time I buy this thing so thought id show my build just for a last compatibility check and make sure its ok! The budget has crept up and have chucked a monitor in there as well. I would appreciate hearing what you think!

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/gLbB
September 14, 2012 1:13:58 AM

boozerbiz said:
Hi again all! Its getting closer to the time I buy this thing so thought id show my build just for a last compatibility check and make sure its ok! The budget has crept up and have chucked a monitor in there as well. I would appreciate hearing what you think!

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/gLbB

Everything looks great, good luck with your build! If I had to be picky, I would spring for a full tower case for more room and better cooling.
September 14, 2012 2:28:08 PM

Dupontrocks11 said:
Everything looks great, good luck with your build! If I had to be picky, I would spring for a full tower case for more room and better cooling.

Thanks mate, ill let you know how i get on! Yeah i was looking at the full towers but alot of reviews were saying that the case i picked was massive for a mid tower, plus ive built a desk that this one is gonna fit in nicely!
!