Sign in with
Your question

Problem with PC and power supply

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2012 1:11:01 PM

I am experiencing a problem with my computer. When I unplug it from the power line for more than few minutes, when I plug it in again it doesn't turn on; actually, it does nothing at all. I think it already happened twice: the first time it finally started after like 2 hours, the second time it took nearly a full day to turn on again. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :D 

More about : problem power supply

a c 150 ) Power supply
November 18, 2012 4:46:26 PM

My first thought is a bad power supply. If the PC works normally when powered off and on, but fails after having been unplugged from the power source for awhile, it may be related to a bad capacitor not holding its charge. Is this a new PC? Pre-built or home built?
December 5, 2012 6:23:24 AM

clutchc said:
My first thought is a bad power supply. If the PC works normally when powered off and on, but fails after having been unplugged from the power source for awhile, it may be related to a bad capacitor not holding its charge. Is this a new PC? Pre-built or home built?

I'm sorry I didn't answer, while waiting for an answer here my PC finally turned back on... anyway I couldn't figure out what was the problem, it just turned on normally after a while. I took the voltages on the motherboard out from the power supply and they were just good. I double-checked the correct working of the turn-on button (just to be sure :D  ), and it was OK. I fear the problem is on the motherboard, but I just can't understand why it does like this. After some trials I figured out that, when this problem occurs, the PC just needs to be unplugged from the power source for about 2 hours, then when I plug it back in it works fine. At least it did like this the 3 times I tried. If unplugged for less than 2 hours (I tried one hour) it doesn't work at all.

P.S. The PC has 4 years, pre-built.
a c 150 ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 2:00:50 PM

Does the same thing happen if it remains plugged in, but the PSU power switch is turned off.
!