Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Corsair
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 17, 2012 1:13:39 PM

Hey guys,

I built a rig with the Corsair TX650 v2 but am not too impressed with the fan flow noise however staff at the shop said it is normal so I couldn't get a refund/RMA.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a PSU that is really quiet with my current computer. Currently, only really looking at PSU from http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf - AU retail shop - MSY however am willing to search other shops for different products.

Computer Specs;

Corsair 500R
Asrock Extreme4 Z77
Sapphire 7870 HD
i5-3570K
8GB RAM

Please let me know if further spec is required. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've search up most of the PSU on MSY and felt that the ANTEC HCG 620v might be best as it seems to be the one has the least fan flow noise. Please let me know what you guys think.

More about : recommendation quiet psu

a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 1:51:08 PM

Well is money a factor? There are zero dba power supplies but they are super expensive!
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681718216...

Anyways how bad is the noise? It is normal for the power supply to make noise when operational but if its real loud then it could be defective or the power supply could be getting hot.
Score
Related resources
November 17, 2012 2:15:59 PM

I know everyone hates on cooler master psu but I have been using there silent pro m 600 watt for 2 years and beat the crap out of it with no problems even ran GTX 560 sli for awhile till the card noise got to me but the psu is dead silent to me and with the GTX 670 FTW I have all I hear is my case fans now.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 2:37:25 PM

Seasonic makes the best psus. A 620w modular version would fit the bill and its only 90 bucks at Newegg.com. I have one just like it and its dead silent.
Score
a c 87 ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 3:28:22 PM

The Corsair TX650 V2 uses a fan which usually starts at 1000RPM, so I can understand why anyone would think that it is a noisy PSU.

Technically the Antec HCG-620 is inferior to the Corsair TX650 V2, but the fan can go as low as 400RPM, although it is more likely to be 600RPM in idle, so it is going to be quieter.

I would prefer the Antec Truepower New TP-550:
http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=4932
It is uses a higher quality/better performance design than the HCG series; independantly regulated, etc.
Fan starts at 800RPM.

I couldn't get the pdf to work so looked on MSY's site.
Score
November 17, 2012 6:27:35 PM

rolli59 said:
The Corsair HX would be quiet http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/hx-series-...

Hey, thanks, will look into the HX series but not particularly sure if I should go with a Corsair again. Thanks for reply.

socialfox said:
Well is money a factor? There are zero dba power supplies but they are super expensive!
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681718216...

Anyways how bad is the noise? It is normal for the power supply to make noise when operational but if its real loud then it could be defective or the power supply could be getting hot.

Money is not a factor really but it depends how expensive it is. I can hear the noise about 3m away which I personally consider fairly awful and can get the best of me sometimes. Thanks for reply.

osoben said:
I know everyone hates on cooler master psu but I have been using there silent pro m 600 watt for 2 years and beat the crap out of it with no problems even ran GTX 560 sli for awhile till the card noise got to me but the psu is dead silent to me and with the GTX 670 FTW I have all I hear is my case fans now.

socialfox said:
^ Generally Cooler Master power supplies are terrible but I wont lie the Silent Pro series are actually good and the GX 450.

Here is a tier list for power supplies:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Will be looking into the CM Silent Pro series too. Thanks for reply.

maestro0428 said:
Seasonic makes the best psus. A 620w modular version would fit the bill and its only 90 bucks at Newegg.com. I have one just like it and its dead silent.

boyabunda said:
SeaSonic X650 Gold: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

fan = Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan

Heard good reviews on them too, not too sure if it is sold in AU though but will definitely look into them again. Thanks for reply.

Silvune said:
The Corsair TX650 V2 uses a fan which usually starts at 1000RPM, so I can understand why anyone would think that it is a noisy PSU.

Technically the Antec HCG-620 is inferior to the Corsair TX650 V2, but the fan can go as low as 400RPM, although it is more likely to be 600RPM in idle, so it is going to be quieter.

I would prefer the Antec Truepower New TP-550:
http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=4932
It is uses a higher quality/better performance design than the HCG series; independantly regulated, etc.
Fan starts at 800RPM.

I couldn't get the pdf to work so looked on MSY's site.

I was looking at the TP too but as you stated, fan starts at 800RPM, would it be as loud as the Corsair's 1000RPM fan noise? Sorry, I am not too sure with noise related terms. Will look into it further after though. Thanks for reply.

Thank you guys for the reply again. I really appreciate it!
Score
a c 111 ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 7:02:24 PM

I personally have the HCG620, and the fan is VERY quiet. Even when I pull around 400W, the fan is barely audible.
Score
November 17, 2012 8:58:04 PM

Got the hx750 although its good quality i cant say its that quiet, well its the loudest thing in my pc louder than my graphics card. maybe its just me an the fact that the rest of the pc makes no noise i can hear this when normally it wouldnt be a problem but im sure theres quieter. always wondered if i got the 850 would that mean the fans wouldnt kick in at higher speeds as early?
Score
November 18, 2012 4:20:23 AM

Quaddro said:
Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 520 W is very good psu..

and it will not make any noise, since it is fanless..:D 

you can read review here
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-Platinu...

Haha, I actually saw that but wasn't sure if the 520W is good enough for my rig to make sure everything work good for a long time. Thanks for the reply.

amuffin said:
I personally have the HCG620, and the fan is VERY quiet. Even when I pull around 400W, the fan is barely audible.

Hmm, with my 7870 GFC, I believe I will be needing about 500W +, might get a higher watt HCG though! First on the list at the moment. Thanks for the reply.

porl said:
Got the hx750 although its good quality i cant say its that quiet, well its the loudest thing in my pc louder than my graphics card. maybe its just me an the fact that the rest of the pc makes no noise i can hear this when normally it wouldnt be a problem but im sure theres quieter. always wondered if i got the 850 would that mean the fans wouldnt kick in at higher speeds as early?

Yeah, I wondered the same and did some research, I believe it does lower the noise as it will be generating less airflow but still looking at articles! Thanks for the reply.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2012 4:32:47 AM

Framps said:
Haha, I actually saw that but wasn't sure if the 520W is good enough for my rig to make sure everything work good for a long time. Thanks for the reply.

your system just pull less than 300 watt in full load mode,
Even in the extreme overclocking, this seasonic psu will provide more than enough power to feed your system without any hiccups..:) 

you can read full review here
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1863/12/

In that benchmark using Processor Intel Core i7-3960X, that processor using bigger power than i5 2500k

FYI, if you read the link that i gave you above, this seasonic 520 can be overloaded to 650 watt without worry...

Score
November 18, 2012 10:11:20 AM

Quaddro said:
your system just pull less than 300 watt in full load mode,
Even in the extreme overclocking, this seasonic psu will provide more than enough power to feed your system without any hiccups..:) 

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1863/power-consumption.jpg

you can read full review here
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1863/12/

In that benchmark using Processor Intel Core i7-3960X, that processor using bigger power than i5 2500k

FYI, if you read the link that i gave you above, this seasonic 520 can be overloaded to 650 watt without worry...

Thanks for the reply. I actually made a mistake with my computer specifications.

It is actually;

Asrock Extreme4 Z77
Sapphire 7870 HD
i5-3570K
8GB RAM
1x HDD
1x CD-ROM

Would I still be able to use the Seasonic 520W? Also, just out of curiosity, how does the power supply work without a fan, wouldn't it overheat?

A concern as summer gets really hot here at times up to 40 degress.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2012 11:19:14 AM

Framps said:

Also, just out of curiosity, how does the power supply work without a fan, wouldn't it overheat?

It's a very efficient psu, that's mean just loss small power that converted to heat..so that's why this psu not need a fan to dissipates heat..
The case of the PSU itself dissipates heat..

As long as you have good air flow in your case, your psu (and others components) will not overheat..
Score
November 18, 2012 11:43:40 AM

Quaddro said:
It's a very efficient psu, that's mean just loss small power that converted to heat..so that's why this psu not need a fan to dissipates heat..
The case of the PSU itself dissipates heat..

As long as you have good air flow in your case, your psu (and others components) will not overheat..

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

I am also just wanting confirming that the 520W works well with;

Asrock Extreme4 Z77
Sapphire 7870 HD
i5-3570K
8GB RAM
1x HDD
1x CD-ROM

I am unsure where to check to see how many watts is needed for a rig. If you could advise me on where to double check this detail, be great! Thank you again.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2012 12:41:02 PM

you can check your power needed from here
www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

although this site isn't accurate because it always give you bigger number that you actually need..
But it still can to give you quick and dirty analysis about the safest limit of the power you need..
Score
November 20, 2012 2:16:39 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, it was really hard choosing the right answer just cause everyone contributed alot! I chose Quaddro as the best answer however would've chosen everyone if I was able to.
Score
November 20, 2012 2:16:53 AM

Best answer selected by Framps.
Score