Help Diagnose a New Build Problem

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Okay so this was my first build and I'm very pleased with the results except for a problem that persists that I cannot figure out. The system randomly crashes (blue screen after getting laggy and then unresponsive) and restarts. What is interesting though is that when this happens it doesnt recognize what hard drive to boot from. I think it is essentially resetting the bios when it does this (at least boot drive selection). And this typically happens when I have left it alone for a while although that is not always the case.

INTEL|CORE I7 2600K
MB GIGABYTE | GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Z68
SSD 120G|ADATA AS511S3-120GM-C (boot drive)
4Gx2|CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600

Anyone have any idea what I could try to remedy this situation? I have already tried replacing the Mobo backup battery. I really appreciate it

hmm. is it the SSD problem. have you set up the SSD in AHCI mode?

also, if it is your motherboard, check if there is a error code coming from the debug console (pretty sure its just 2 numbers)

if it is the ram, try booting with one stick and then the other to diagnose which bad dimm it is

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Thank you sir. I have troubleshot the ram before and it seems to be good. I did not have AHCI enabled but I have that going now which has made a noticeable speed increase. Cheers for that. I'm going to leave it on all night tonight and see what happens. I'm pretty sure though that when it does its reset thing it resets all the bios so I dont know if that points more toward the mobo or not.

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah the cmos changes stick until there is one of these crashes. For example I change the boot priority or disable the splash screen and that works when I restart it etc but after it has crashed, I assume it goes back to default because it keeps trying to boot from a different hard drive. I had been going in and fixing it but this happens every couple days so I've just been telling it which drive to boot from every time.

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Card is ZOTAC|ZT-50204-10M Nvidia GTX570
Supply is Corsair AX750

Temps:
sys 41
cpu 22
hds 32 and 31
Gpu 52 (although I just did an experience index it does run a little hot, I'm working on better cooling for that)

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Okay so I thought changing it from IDE to AHCI did the trick because it made it through the night and part of the day (longer than usual) but alas, it has crashed again. I have found though that the bios is not completely resetting itself (at least not yet). It is still set in AHCI which is not default. So what is happening is when it blue screens and restarts, it comes back on not recognizing that my SSD is there at all. In the boot menu or BIOS it is not listed, but once it is powered off and turned back on, then it recognizes it again but of course it has taken it out of the boot order. Does that sound like a defective SSD or still motherboard possibly?

sparkplug49

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

So it just crashed again and here are the events that happened in the last hour
Critical - 41 again
Error- 3,10,1060,3299,6008
Warning - 219

And then a bunch of info and audit services