PC Worth Estimates?

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I have a custom-built I want to sell in order to raise funds for a new Ivy Bridge build. I want to know how much you guys think its worth and what I should sell it for. I'm thinking it's not worth much more than 750 at max but I wanted some opinions.

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430-RC

Power Supply: Corsair 750W 750-TX

Motherboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870

RAM: 12 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz

HDD: 500 GB x 2 (RAID 0)

Additions: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Hyper 212+ Aftermarket CPU Cooling, Blue LED Fan lighting,

It has a standard combo drive in it and that's it. Also it has Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit, but I want to keep my key for use in my new build. I don't think it'd sell well without an OS.

Well if you sell the OS with the machine, then the key, and the disks need to go with it, or you have to format the drive. Why would anyone pay for an OS, if they cannot license it or use it once they get it?

As for what it is worth, I would start by asking $525, and you will likely have to negotiate downward from there, if someone offered $400, I would take it if I were you. The aftermarket value of used PC equipment is pretty low, especially home builds.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I was saying format and keep my key/discs and just have it clean for them to get an OS. But thanks for the advice

Why don't you just replace the motherboard and CPU, retaining everything else you have? The rest of your hardware is not bad at all, and really not worth buying new again, lot of money for very, very little gain. Just that motherboard/CPU combo upgrade is really gonna kickstart the stuff you already got!

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Didn't think of that, thanks for the advice... The motherboard and CPU I'm looking for aren't that bad either. I just realized it would only be around 500.

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265

EDIT: I kind of wanted to upgrade my GPU considering it would be my weakpoint in the system but then again my 955 is probably not taking full advantage of it.

I would upgrade to the 3770k in a heartbeat and the video card that you have now would be taken full advantage of with that cpu. Your gaming performance would be increased dramaticly. I would want to know a little more about the ram you have but everything else you can use with the new MB and cpu.
Then you could sell the cpu and MB and make a few bucks to put towards a video card upgrade for latter on.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I have a 4 GB pack of GeiL Value RAM (I would link you but its discontinued)
and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

EDIT: Also what do you think of my motherboard I have picked out.

I would take out the Giel value ram and just use the Corsair Vengence Ram , the 8gb will be enough to run any games and would be much better to have just the one complete set. The Giel set most likely is not an exact match with the Corsair and could be a reason for some issues with performance.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

It has the same clock and timings. I didn't think it would limit the new ram I bought, could it still limit it?

There's a reason that it's value ram and I would not put it with the Corsair ram , that's my opinion and you can do as you wish because it's your computer. But just for the sake of argument if you do the upgrade run the computer in some games with and then without the Giel ram and see if there is a difference. I will say thuis though and that is you will never use all of the 12gb of ram in gaming. You will only use about 6gb and I know this for a fact because I had the resource monitor open an a second screen while playing MW3 and it showed me that the computer was using a total of 5gb of ram. I was very diassapointed because I had originally bought 24gb of ram thinking it would be good for gaming and now 18gb of it is not being used. SO you don't even need or will you use that 4gb set of Giel ram.

I'm sorry but that's incorrect. it will only help with a CPU limited game, and with a 6870 he's going to be GPU limited...

That CPU is more than capable of driving a 7870+. My quad Phenom II at 3.7GHZ is more than capable of driving an overclocked 6970 with no CPU bottlenecking in metro 2033, battlefield 3, etc. if this is for gaming and he's at 1080p or higher the GPU needs upgraded first. the CPU/board are going to show almost zero improvement paired with that card.

-Church-

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I was thinking if I ever upgraded that I would get an nVidia 6XX series probably a 670

I'd still get that first. Even though it will be bottlenecked by you current CPU in a few cases. and here's why. Skyrim is known to be CPU bound. a Phenom II at 3.7GHz will get you 30 FPS minimum. so half of vsync. good ratio. but even an i5 at 4GHz will only get 40 minimum, and the average is 50, yes better but under 60 is under 60

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-3.html

You aren't going to get a constant 60FPS in skyrim even with an i5 at 4.5GHz because of the CPU bottleneck. You might get the average up there BUT you GPU is not capable of too much above 50FPS average anyway. (and this is without the high Res texture patch, which would shift some of the load balance to the gpu)

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-6.html

You will however see a huge improvement in a GPU limited game like BF3 at ultra. As in going from it being unplayable to playable, going from a 6870 and a 670.

So if you only play known CPU limited games, skyrim being one of the worst, go for the CPU. You'll get an extra minimum 10FPS but between 30 and 40 is pretty minor to me, with no change in playability.

If you play any GPU limited games though like BF3 or metro2033 you are going to see a much much bigger difference, making ultra playable where its currently not.